Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batteries

Sorry guys if this has been asked before, but I cannot find the answer.
    I have a two battery set up but one of them is definately dodgy, is it possible to leave the dodgy one out and still start?
    I have no weird extra toys on the surf, but it is a 3 liter. Am saving up to replace both batteries, as someone suggested once one goes the other is likely to follow, and I do not want to wreck the new battery.. but anyone with any ideas on running with just the one?
    Cheers in advance.

It'll be OK as the weather is warmer now.
    The good battery should be on the driver's side, insulate the + cable end on the other battery after disconnecting it though.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      It'll be OK as the weather is warmer now.
      The good battery should be on the driver's side, insulate the + cable end on the other battery after disconnecting it though.
      Many thanks for that..
      Is typical that it is that side that has gone kaput.. most annoying!!!

Comment

Change them over! 1 will work fine for now. I had the same problem a few months ago. Next trip to Bristol got the two at RT, proper Jap ones not bad price compared to local area. Proper dated and number recorded guarantee as well! Don't be tempted to change one as there is no splitter. the two work as one so they both need to be tip top.
        Yes! It's still in the garage. M1ROD

Comment

Originally posted by omiles View Post
          Sorry guys if this has been asked before, but I cannot find the answer.
          I have a two battery set up but one of them is definately dodgy, is it possible to leave the dodgy one out and still start?
          I have no weird extra toys on the surf, but it is a 3 liter. Am saving up to replace both batteries, as someone suggested once one goes the other is likely to follow, and I do not want to wreck the new battery.. but anyone with any ideas on running with just the one?
          Cheers in advance.

Some have the eleccie goodies on one battery and the engine to start on the other (if using battery charging/splitter system). However, the jap imports dont normally have this and hence as the batteries are connected together for everything as soon as one battery goes bad it starts to discharge the other.
          Gaz

Comment

£50 each at Cosco's.
            Nissan Patrol for on-road, and a Land-Rover 110 shed for off-road :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Smego2 View Post
              £50 each at Cosco's.
              there we are again i need 2 batterys £96 each at halfords no way paying that but not got a costo card.
              was trying to jump start it this morning form me pajero after putting it back together but had no luck just clicking.
              which way do i connect the leads from 2 batterys on pajero to the 2 on surf

Comment

Positive to positive and negative to negative, I'd hazard a guess at.

Comment

Unless you want 24v.

I think I only paid about £120 for proper Toyota batteries from Roughtrax. Was a few years ago now though.
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                    Positive to positive and negative to negative, I'd hazard a guess at.
                    i now that but which batterys do i use to which. do i have to link them by earth on one and pos on other from pajero to one battery on surf or to battery on surf or should it be working from 1 battery of paj to 1 battery on surf cos am not having any luck.
                    have ended up putting paj batterys on surf instead until i get new 1s dont need paj for a while wife using vitara instead.
                    but the info would come in handy for future ref.

Comment

+ve from battery of dead car to +ve of battery of donor car.
                      -ve from battery of donor car to earth point (engine mount etc) of dead car, or -ve of the same battery on dead car.

With the surf it may be quicker if you disconnect the -ve of the second battery, so you are only putting charge into one dead battery, and not two.

Once started disconnect -ve from donor car, -ve from previously dead car, +ve from donor car, +ve from previously dead car.
                      Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

try toyota main dealers for new batteries, last i heard they were about £46 each
                        =========
                        =SOLD UP!=
                        =========

Comment

Originally posted by sketty View Post
                          there we are again i need 2 batterys £96 each at halfords no way paying that but not got a costo card.
                          was trying to jump start it this morning form me pajero after putting it back together but had no luck just clicking.
                          which way do i connect the leads from 2 batterys on pajero to the 2 on surf
                          they are expensive, we sell our 3 year guarantee ones for £60 + vat and our varta ones are £80 + vat each!!

avoid halfords like the plague!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X