Fog Light Switch...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fog Light Switch...

While I'm waiting for my Surf to come over from Japan, I want to try and get the fog light sorted.

I intend to convert the offside reversing lamp, so I don't foresee any problems there.

My questions regard a suitable location for the switch...

The translated Owners Manual suggests that the 4 switch positions on the dash, on a '94 3.0 SSR-X Diesel, will all be in use ie. Hazard Warning Lights, Rear Screen Heater, Fasdt Idle and Hard/Soft Suspension.

Q1. Is this correct?
    Q2. If so, as I'd prefer not go cutting holes in the dash, which facility do you people use the least - Fast Idle or Hard/Soft Suspension?
    Q3. Does the Fog Light Switch from old UK spec Toyotas have the warning light built-in?

Ok... that's enough questions for today.

Thanks in advance, Alan
    Never argue with an idiot... they drag you down to their level - then beat you with experience!!

ALAN mine is next to the hard/normal switch. you have to use an illuminated switch as well. which is connected to your sidelights
    Last edited by marky; 6 April 2004, 18:29.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Quote: "I intend to convert the offside reversing lamp, so I don't foresee any problems there."

Hmmmm, that's a good idea for mine too! How are you going to achieve this? Paint the glass red, high strength red bulb........? Please explain..!

Cheers, Damian.
      Damian

http://www.themudlife.co.uk

Comment

Damian,

I think you can get away with just painting the bulb red or using a red LED bulb.

Have a look at http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/foglight.htm, although this does suggest painting the lens as well.

Note: This method is OK for an MOT... but, as I understand it, will not satisfy the SVA test... wrong 'E' no on the lens, or some such thing!
        Never argue with an idiot... they drag you down to their level - then beat you with experience!!

Comment

Originally posted by whippet
          While I'm waiting for my Surf to come over from Japan, I want to try and get the fog light sorted.

I intend to convert the offside reversing lamp, so I don't foresee any problems there.

The translated Owners Manual suggests that the 4 switch positions on the dash, on a '94 3.0 SSR-X Diesel, will all be in use ie. Hazard Warning Lights, Rear Screen Heater, Fasdt Idle and Hard/Soft Suspension.

Q1. Is this correct?
          Q2. If so, as I'd prefer not go cutting holes in the dash, which facility do you people use the least - Fast Idle or Hard/Soft Suspension?
          Q3. Does the Fog Light Switch from old UK spec Toyotas have the warning light built-in?

Thanks in advance, Alan

On my SSR-X I don't have the Hard/Normal or the Fast Idle Switches, they have been swapped to the Rear Fog Light and the Front Fog Lights which I believe have accidentally beend disconnected whilst having an immobiliser fitted (need to take apart the dash hoping not to immobilse the vehicle for good by disturbing the Immobilser)
          Gaz

Comment

You might have a spare slot in the console, where the rear window switch is, there should be 3 holes there, often only one is used. You can get switches that will fit straight in from www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk

Cheers

Comment

With Regards to the switch, Just below my Idle and Suspension switch there is a sort of pop out panel, Round and approx 10mm in diameter.

My rear fog light switch is in there and has a little red LED on it that lights up when the fog is on, This is legal for the MOT.

I dont know were the switch came from but the chap who did it is Mick and can be contacted on 07970 161 424. He doesnt know me at all but he did the work on my Surf for the Garage I bought it from which is molewood in hertford, Herts.

Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by whippet

Q1. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance, Alan
                Alan
                This help?
                www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

Thanks for all the replies folks.

I think the long and the short of it is... I should really wait and see what holes / switch positions there are, before deciding on what type of switch and where i'm going to mount it!!

I'ts the thought of having the car on the drive, after a two month wait and then having to wait another few days while I get of the bits required to get it through the MOT!!!!

It's not that I'm impatient or anything ( lying bustard!!!! ).

Comment

2nd Gen 4Runner wiring diagram anyone?

I have obtained a Rear Fog Light Switch from a 4Runner... by post from a breaker in Shropshire. Fortunatley they have supplied the plug from the wiring loom with a couple of inches of wire.

It has 4 wires - white/black stripe, green/grey band, red/white stripe, red/grey band (the grey bands could be white... poor light + old eyes = not sure!!)

The two red wires appear to be the actual switch, checked with meter... they are the only two that short out when the switch is operated.

I gues one of the others would be a ground and the other might be for backlighting at night?

Are surf switches illuminated at night?

Does anyone have a UK 4Runner manual with wiring diagram who can confirm what each wire is for?

If all else fails I'll poke about with the meter and a battery.

Cheers,
                    Alan

Comment

Working...
                    X