Reconnecting electrics on dashboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reconnecting electrics on dashboard

Wonder if any of y'all can help me. I removed the dashboard on a 1998 3.0 Turbo and when I replaced all the block connectors and two wires (red & green) that are screwed in to the PCB. All was grand except for the temp gauge which wasn't working. I've removed the dashboard and tried all combinations of connection (there are 4 screw holes), but still nuttin. Anyone know the correct wiring combination. Please, pretty please

Originally posted by sharifah View Post
    Wonder if any of y'all can help me. I removed the dashboard on a 1998 3.0 Turbo and when I replaced all the block connectors and two wires (red & green) that are screwed in to the PCB. All was grand except for the temp gauge which wasn't working. I've removed the dashboard and tried all combinations of connection (there are 4 screw holes), but still nuttin. Anyone know the correct wiring combination. Please, pretty please
    The dash plugs will only go back one way, I'm more intrigued with the 2 wires screwed to the PCB!

Where do they go?

And welcome to the nut house by the way...
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Thanks for the welcome. Yeah all the plugs fitted no problems. Can't say I'm impressed with the printed circuit part of the plug connections if you know what I mean. I had to plug and unplug one several times in order to get all the auto gear indicators lighting. Some times one would work then three then two but that's not the real problemo. Maybe the two wires are not for the gauge although when connected in a certain way the temp needle rises to the top. They are factory fitted and are connected by screwing the eyelets at the end of the wires to the printed circuit board. Problem is there are three possible holes any yet I think I covered all combinations. Cheers, S

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
        The dash plugs will only go back one way, I'm more intrigued with the 2 wires screwed to the PCB!

Where do they go?

And welcome to the nut house by the way...
        Some surfs have sat nav fitted in japan, you can tell by looking under the passenger seat the box is there. the wire on the back of the speedo may be a speed sensor linked to the sat nav system.
        SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Had a look and the only thing under the seat is an AC fan. I've come to the conclusion that the wires are not for anything important as I've disconnected them and notice nothing different. The temp gauge is still kaput and I now notice that the speedo has stopped working as well. It's weird, every time I disconnect and then reconnect the dash plugs something different stops working and what hadn't been working comes all right...except for the temp gauge, it doesn't like me... Cheers, S

Comment

I think I may have solved the mystery of the wires. They seem to be added to convert the speedo reading from KPH to MPH. I've attached a photo of the block that these wires are connected to. Cheers y'all, S
            Attached Files

Comment

Yup, reconnected the two wires and the speedo is working again. Every day's a day at school. Now.....back to the temp gauge.

Comment

check the heat stat sensor it could be just a coencedence, mine was
                www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

Folks this jus' gets worse. Was replacing the dashboard and must have touched a + part of the electrics to the steering column and it didn't like it. After a crack and a flash followed by a puff of smoke I now see that part of the PCB has melted. Not a lot, jus' a 1" break on one circuit line. I may try to repair it but am getting really ####ed off with it and would consider getting another new dash if there was one available somewhere. I googled it and everything but the kitchen sink came up in the search. Can you imagine how totally pised off I'm gonna be if as 'Tiger' suggests it was the sensor all along. If this is the case what weight of a sledge hammer would you recommend.

Comment

Well y'all I've bored ya so far and so I'm not gonna stop now. Soldered the PCB breaks (2 in all), and everything, except the temp gauge, is back to normal. I'll check the sensor as Tiger suggested and hopefully all will have a fairytale ending. many thanks for your posts

Comment

Working...
                    X