Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent Electrical Problems

Gidday.

I’m a newbie from New Zealand. I own a 1995 3L Turbo Diesel, Model KD-KZN185W (new shape), Engine – 1KZ-TE. Automatic (Japanese Import).

For about a year now I have had an ongoing problem. The vehicle goes fine for a while then suddenly starts to play up. Symptoms: Turning on key and nothing happens, then after pumping brake and/or wiggling gear lever, it will start. When indicating, the radio will stop, aerial retracts, then the radio will start again and aerial rises. When braking the radio cuts out. There is a high pitch humming noise which gets higher as the vehicle accelerates. When turning vehicle off, the vehicle “shudders” (like a timing issue) which invariably indicates it won’t re-start. The reverse beeping sounds sick when this is happening. Most seriously the vehicle “dies” when the lights are selected or flashed (happened this evening).

I have had the vehicle to an auto electrician. He went thru and checked all wiring and connections. He replaced the ignition and cleaned some connections. Got vehicle back, worked OK for a couple of months, then started doing same things again. Took vehicle back. He cleaned a couple more connections. Vehicle worked OK for a couple of months then same again. Next time the auto electrician stung me for a new starter motor and I bought a new battery. Yes all OK until (you know the story). Finally the vehicle just failed to start one day after trying all the little fixes mentioned above. Got AA out. He cleaned the battery terminals and was all OK for quite awhile. But the vehicle still has the problems, so I keep cleaning and tightening the battery terminals with success - until now. Cleaned terminals yesterday, my wife goes out tonight and vehicle stalls when she put the lights on. I’m at my wits end on this one. This forum appears to be very good. Can anybody help with a possible solution(s)?

earth faults can do strange things, but any autospark should've picked up on that. There's so many symptoms it's gonna be hard for us to diagnose over t'internet but i'd suggest getting a different autosparks to give it a look over.

I'd also be tempted to suggest that you may have 2 (or more) separate faults, and that the shuddering on shutdown is unrelated to the radio / indicators / lights earthing fault.

The starting problem sounds like the switch at the base of the gear lever which will not let you start in gear may need adjusting, by wiggling the lever you're moving the switch, and by putting your foot on the brake in P it releases the 'lock' on the lever allowing it to move slightly and activate the switch. Assuming it's an auto of course.
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Comment

I'd agree with Nero. The shutdown shudder is most likely vacuum related. That shudder should be compensated for by the butterfly valve setup. The electrics fault does stand a good chance of being a bad earth/ground somewhere. Find all the heavy duty earth leads/straps and make sure the connections are clean and solidly connected at both ends.

Comment

A brakelight bulb fault (not seated properly or very dirty) or bad earth at brakelight can cause the starting problem, dash lights will come on but it won't turn over.
        Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Intermittent Electrical Problems.

Gidday.

Good replies. Thanks. Will consider options and see if your suggestions can solve these problems.
          Cheers.

Comment

Info re the above

Just for anyone else who may be interested.

I undid cleaned and re-tightened the battery terminals (the negative was slightly loose). I checked the earth straps. Undoing and cleaning the earth from the negative terminal (to body, which was clean and well connected anyway). I checked the larger earth strap coming from the positive terminal going to the engine block. Didn't clean this one as very difficult to get to. Vehicle started 1st pop and hasn't missed a beat yet (now I've just jinxed myself!!). So logic states that it must be just the battery terminals being ever so slightly loose and or the earth straps, which I have never touched until now after the great advice received above. Does this seem normal? It is a concern to me that such a small fault (microscopically loose battery terminals) can create so many problems.

Cheers.
            Last edited by keeweesteve; 23 May 2008, 09:42.

Comment

I had the same thing with my 3.0l when i had to change the turbo.I thought the battery terminals were all tight as one min it would start and run fine then 2 mins later i could go to start up and it wouldn't.I just cleant the battery leads and terminals and made sure they were tight and never a problem for 2 years now
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
              X