Rear window relay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear window relay

As its a common problem and the relay is so expensive, is their not a work around ?
    I've been investigating the problem since the weekend when my window stopped opening on the key.
    I can work the motor off a spare battery, up and down, so its the relay Rear heater works, rear wiper too just can't open door.
    Is there a way to circumvent the relay, a switch direct from ignition perhaps.

The relays can be replaced with ones from Maplins which are a couple of quid. The relay box is in the back of the truck on the passenger side.

http://picasaweb.google.com/gerbilsn...34075192839218

I'm sure someone will be along soon with a link to the post with the numbers in, if not I will look later for you.
    My other cars a QUAD
    (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
    http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Right other thing to check before you start playing with relays is for broken wires where they flex regularly between tailgate and body.

Otherwise dissassemble the relay box and there's a write up somewhere showing the relays to replace and the order no.s for the individual relays from maplins. Then it's a case of dissassembling the box, removing the circuit board, identifying the faulty relay (there's 4 on the board), desoldering the old relay, and soldering the new one back on.

Fairly simple realy and it'll only cost you a few quid.

Also check the window lock button on the drivers arm rest, and give the rear wiper a wiggle before you do anything else, just incase, eh??
      =========
      =SOLD UP!=
      =========

Comment

Here's a couple of links to read

Good write up on how to

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=41782

Part numbers for Maplins in this one

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=31305

ps Welcome to the nuthouse - just watch out for squirrels
        My other cars a QUAD
        (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
        http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

cheers thanks everyone. I had already found and read the Maplin article and have disassembled problem box and was looking for a second hand alternative. Have now checked wires they look ok but I'm certain its the relay
          As only the rear screen window heater works, I don't think swapping relays around is going to help, looks like a complete swap

That aside I just wondered if anyone had done away with the relay I have wired up a simple switch off the ignition to get me buy with the window until alternative bits arive, so I wondered if anyone had done a more permanent fix.

Comment

For the sake of how much replacing all four relays would cost, (even at Maplin prices), why bother modifying things.

Comment

extremely obvious and good point that

Comment

hi

I agree with you on the not bothering to mod it.

I do however have a spare relay unit for the rear window.

As far as i know its in working order, but if you have the to skill hold a soldering iron u may aswell just change the relays. its far cheaper.
                If you pretend it goes fast... it will!!

Comment

Oh dear, what a fruitless weekend. Went the Maplins route, and eventually swapped all the 4 relays.
                  After each one the window goes up on the key and not down just the relays clicking.
                  Checked all the wiring and couldn't find a problem, wired up the white socket from a battery and all worked well both ways, up and down, checked the switch with a meter looks ok, so its back to the relay.
                  Luckily a local breaker had 2 surfs in his yard and one had a relay box, but 20 pounds later it didn't work on down either.

Stumped

Comment

go back to your wires again, check for continuity between the wires from the back of the keyswitch to the corresponding wire at the relay box. The wires at the motor are a solid colour with a stripe, just can't remember what colours. At the relay box they are the same colours but with the addition of silver bands round the wire, and when tested for voltage should be positive, give one of them an earth and the window should go one way, give the other an earth and it should go the other way.
                    =========
                    =SOLD UP!=
                    =========

Comment

Originally posted by ascint View Post
                      Oh dear, what a fruitless weekend. Went the Maplins route, and eventually swapped all the 4 relays.
                      It wasn't fruitless. You have eliminated one possible area where the fault may lie, and renewed the relays to boot. That's a good start.

As Nero said, check the rear door loom wires for continuity and such.

Comment

the continuity from switch to relay was ok. changing polarity at relay and window went down. swap back goes up on switch. Connect switch to battery window goes up and down. Problem seems to be in relay box (both of them) as the relay clicks but no power gets through to the motor.

Does that make sense ?

The other problem is that the internal switch doesn't work either now and all fuses are fine. I did think I could wire the window to go down on the internal switch and up via the rear switch.

250 quid seems a huge sum just to check the relay, so I've ordered some more off Maplin

Comment

Originally posted by ascint View Post
                          250 quid seems a huge sum just to check the relay, so I've ordered some more off Maplin
                          you what? where did that price come from? What's it actually for?

I'd almost bet they ain't even that much direct from toyota
                          =========
                          =SOLD UP!=
                          =========

Comment

300 + I was told from Toyoto, 250 from Milner, maybe they were wrong.

Comment

He's referring to the full assembly, not the relays.

Comment

Working...
                              X