Wiring a radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring a radio

I just fitted a new radio. The previous owner had fitted an amplifier which I have removed and plugged into the original wiring harness. Problem is, I cannot fid any wire in the loom that operates the electric aerial. I traced the wire from the aerial and it goes into the main wiring loom. There are three wires on the plug that I have not identified. I put power onto them in turnm one of them does nothing, the other sparked then did nothing and I assume has blown a fuse on something, the other makes a click in the boot. Is the aerial fused between the radio and the aerial? if so, then the aerial could be faulty and the fuse blew when I powered it up. And what is clicking in the boot and is connected to the radio plug?

Also, the rear speakers are not working. Is there a common fault with the wiring on these or do I need to take all the trim out to check the speakers? I would not be surprised if they have been blown by the amp I took out.

think theres a relay for the aerial cant remember its location tho lol

Comment

Is the wire connector joined under the plastic liner in the passenger side wheel arch
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I had a feel under the plastic wheel arch. There does seem to be a connector there. I would have expected the wire to have been going to the radio though. If push comes to shove, I will have to run a wire to the aerial and scotch lock it in.

Comment

from memory it's a green wire with a red stripe...

...i'll have a look on the breaker in the morning (if i remember, i may need reminding) i know which wire it is coz i put a switch in it
          Last edited by nero279; 18 April 2008, 21:39.
          =========
          =SOLD UP!=
          =========

Comment

is the stereo you're fitting aftermarket? I put mine in and had the same prob with the rear speakers.
            There's a thread on here somewhere about joining two wires together because the rear speakers are amped by default. I followed the instructions and it came in straight off.
            Keep your friends close and a hammer closer

Comment

Here
              Brian

Comment

It's an after market Sony radio. Looks like I'm not the first person to have this problem. The amplifier explains what the click in the boot was. Maybe the aerial is just sticking. Does the aerial need a +ve supply to send it up as is normal, or is it a -ve like the windows and central locking?

Comment

The factory aerial has two wires. The aerial itself is not earthed. The wires alternate between positive and negative depending on which direction the motor runs for aerial up or down. All this is controlled by the relay which is up under dash on drivers side. It's a large reddish brown box. There has been some discussion on the Aussie forum about aerial wire colours before and I remember something about a blue wire so a search for that may help.

Nev

Comment

Do you have the address of the aussie forum?

Comment

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/
                      =========
                      =SOLD UP!=
                      =========

Comment

Ok, thanks. Aerial now working. Still no rear speakers, but I can live with that. I'll take another look at them later.

Comment

how did you fix the aeriel problem, as mine has suddenly stopped coming up: Drove to the shop the other day and had the radio on, came out, and it didn't pop up when I put the ignition on! Its the Sony cd/radio with TA etc, so I usually have it on for the traffic info.
                          Can the relay suddenly fail, and if so how can you test if its gone!
                          Does any one know if there is a facility within the radio menu to actually turn off the auto aeriel errect? (Had a bit of a fiddle last week to check out what was in the menu!)I had a brief look for the fuse/ relay but couldn't find it!
                          ( 3rd Gen 3ltr Surf diesel '96)
                          Last edited by swampy; 30 April 2008, 12:24.

Comment

Take a look at the diagram here,http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Toyota-Wiring.pdf

The two wires labelled H & I it says to connect together. This did not work for me. I connected one to the 12 volt supply and the other to the amp output of the radio although the aerial output should have done the same job. Unfortunately I do not recall which one was the supply and which was the aerial signal but it wasn't difficult to work out which is which. Also check the fuse under the bonnet labelled DOME as this was blown on mine.

Comment

Working...
                            X