Alternator capacity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator capacity

I've just taken delivery of some new lights that I'll be mounting on my light-bar. Before I make the final plans for them, it occurred to me that I don't know what sort of spare 'capacity' the alternator has for running additional lighting. I've got 6 lights for the roof, plus the two on the bull bars for a total of 440W or around 37Amps. I'll have the 4 small ones that are currently on the roof going spare, so they may get re-located for a potential 220W more (18Amps).

Anyone know what the standard output of the alternator is on a '95 2nd gen 3ltr is, and how much of that is spare? Anyone know of an uprated alternator in case I decide to go silly and keep adding more?
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Manual is 60 Amp and auto 70 Amp according to the EPC.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
      Manual is 60 Amp and auto 70 Amp according to the EPC.

Nev
      Thanks Nev. That suggests that 6 lights or more will be a bit much for the alternator.
      Paul </Slugsie>
      Immortal.so far!

Comment

My Lexus V8 alt. out kicks 120A.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          My Lexus V8 alt. out kicks 120A.
          Do you reckon it could be adapted for fit a Surf diesel engine? 120Amp would be perfect.

Read some info on Bundubashers site, there's mention of using the alternator and bracket from an early 90s MR2 - 100AMP, think I might have a word with Bund about that.
          Paul </Slugsie>
          Immortal.so far!

Comment

different lights for different applications, just don't have em all on at the same time, well not for too long and not with the stereo pounding out at full whack, and a winch running pulling at full load and an invertor plugged in the ciggy socket.
            =========
            =SOLD UP!=
            =========

Comment

But, I really really want to have all 8 spot-lights on, plus main beams, plus possibly some fogs. Say maybe 55Amps in total I reckon.
              Paul </Slugsie>
              Immortal.so far!

Comment

I used to run four on the A bar, two under the front valance, all connected to the main beam, without problem (as long as the engine was running). The only time I had to increase revs was when I turned the two rear work lights on at the same time.

Oh almost forgot they were all 55w not 100.

Now I have HIDs and rarely even turn main beam on!
                Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

I'm on the trail of a US ebay seller of high output alternators. I'll post back here if/when I get a response about a suitable model for a Surf.
                  Paul </Slugsie>
                  Immortal.so far!

Comment

it should be fine running those lights with a standard altinator my sj has a 35 amp one and i run twin batteries one being a 110amp for the winch and the other a 65 amp and four spots with 130 watt bulbs and i have never had a problem with charging
                    I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie View Post
                      I'm on the trail of a US ebay seller of high output alternators. I'll post back here if/when I get a response about a suitable model for a Surf.
                      Well, the response was a pretty short 'Sorry, nothing'.
                      Paul </Slugsie>
                      Immortal.so far!

Comment

or simply mount another alternator where the a/c compressor is...

or, get your alternator rebuilt with a new core... I think there is a larger transit one that just fits, and kicks out quite a few more amps... I think thats what happened to mine when I got it rebuilt.

your lamps will be pulling from the batteries not your alternator... but if your alternator cannot replenish the batteries...

Deep cycle aux battery... get the alternator rebuilt, with beefier internals... wire all you lamps to the deep cycle... job done. you won't be running the lamps all day long... you could always add a second aux battery...

Comment

Working...
                        X