Rear Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Lights

Has anyone modified the rear light units on a 92 Surf (wheel on tailgate version) with new units/bulbs mine appear to be quite dull.

Thanks,
    Michael Boult
    Mike

Originally posted by Michael Boult
    Has anyone modified the rear light units on a 92 Surf (wheel on tailgate version) with new units/bulbs mine appear to be quite dull.

Thanks,
    Michael Boult
    Michael.

First thing I would check is that the bulbs are seated correctly, mine work fine and have not been replaced with new (apart from a couple of new bulbs in the nearside brake/side). Take out the unit, remove all the bulbs, clean the metal and the bulb and also the socket. Remove the wiring plug and clean the contacts or spray some switch cleaner on them.

A lot of dim bulb problems are down to bad earthing - the next thing that would happen is that your brake lights go on with your indicators and vice versa.

The light should be quite bright as the lenses are not too opaque.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Boult

Thanks,
      Michael Boult
      Take out bulbs and check the wattage on them.If you want brighter then go for a bulb with higher wattage.Don't get carried away though or you will dazzle drivers following you.

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
        Take out bulbs and check the wattage on them.If you want brighter then go for a bulb with higher wattage.Don't get carried away though or you will dazzle drivers following you.

Neville
        In the UK the legal limit for bulbs is as follows:

Indicators - 21 Watts
        Brake - 21 Watts
        Side - 5 Watts
        Reversing - 21 Watts.

Most standard bulbs are the correct rating - for instance Side / Brake bulbs are 5/21 watt dual filament units.

You may find that the Japanese bulbs are lower rated than this - my front fogs for instance had 35W bulbs instead of the standard 55W.

Cheers

Cheers

Comment

Working...
        X