Indicators blowing fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indicators blowing fuse

Morning all, hoping for a bit of electrical advice.

My indicators stopped working last night on the way home. Checked the fuse in the drivers footwell, blown. Replaced the fuse, flicked the indicators, blown again. Waited till this morning to pull all the indicators out to check for broken wires or blown bulbs, nothing. All wires and connectors look to be in good order and all the bulbs are sound. The was some moisture in the passenger side rear light cluster and it was a bit wet on the connector block, disconnected it and dried it off, still blowing fuses when switch on indicator.

Any ideas anyone?
    Lifes a beach, so lets surf!

The only thing I can think of is checking the relay.
    Or trying it without the bulbs in, and replace them one at a time until the fuse blows, that might give you an idea of where to look.
    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

where is the relay and how do i check it?

as an aside, the 15a fuse for the hazzards under the bonnet is also blowing. When press the hazzard button get one click from flasher then nothing, blown fuse. run out of 10a fuses now so off to shops for more.

Comment

If I remember correctly the relay is with the fuses by the drivers foot. The easiest way I know to check is by trying a new one, I think their only about a fiver from a motor factors.
        I'm presuming that it blow the fuse regardless to which way you indicate.
        Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Do you have an alarm which is wired to you indicators?

Just a thought which came to mind.
          Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Do you have a multi-meter? Check to see if any of the lamp-holders are shorting out to ground.

The most likely cause is probably a duff wire somewhere in the feed (as it's all indicators and the hazards too). You may need to trace some wires unfortunately.
            Paul </Slugsie>
            Immortal.so far!

Comment

Ok will look in the footwell for the relay, yes i do have an alarm connected to the indicators (well they flash when i activate/deactivate it with the keyfob). This was professionally installed before i got the surf and so would have no idea where they would have spliced in to the indicator circuit. Not much of an electrician just picking it up as i go along. Thanks for your thoughts and advice, will go looking for that relay now.

Comment

Just made me think about the alarm. Last time i saw the indicators working was when i was loading my tools into the back of the truck and leant against the keyfob in my pocket, this turned the alarm on and off again quickly, didn't think anything about it at the time as the alarm ended up off and i was in the middle of clearing site. Could flicking the alarm on and off again quickly have damaged the relay?

Comment

Slugsie how do i check if the bulb holders are shorting to ground?

I have a multi meter but as explained not much of an electrician

Comment

Originally posted by chaiwalla View Post
                    Slugsie how do i check if the bulb holders are shorting to ground?

I have a multi meter but as explained not much of an electrician
                    Set the multimeter to continuity check. Pull each bulb out. Touch one probe to bare car body/chassis, and the other probe each of the bulb contacts in turn. One should show continuity, the other one shouldn't.

I think.
                    Paul </Slugsie>
                    Immortal.so far!

Comment

Nice one paul, cheers for that

Will go and play with me multi meter see if i can figure out whats going on

Comment

OK an update

If i indicate left no problems all 3 bulbs flash normally, dash lights display normally

If i indicate right with no bulbs in get 'ticking' from the relay but green direction indicator on dash very dim, all dash lights dim in time with the flasher and the dash volt meter visbly moves up and down with the flasher. Tried again with all bulbs individually, working up to all 3, all 3 work but very very dim looks like the filament in the bulb is heating up but not bright.
                        Beginning to get out of my depth here, was happy to change a bulb, maybe even a relay but really not sure what to try next. Is it time to take it to the garage??

Comment

It does sound like a wiring fault.
                          Rule of thumb, if you're not sure take it to someone that is. You can do damage to a vehicles electrics easily.
                          Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
                            It does sound like a wiring fault.
                            Rule of thumb, if you're not sure take it to someone that is. You can do damage to a vehicles electrics easily.
                            Yup, electricity, if you're not sure what you're doing take it to someone who is. Worst case you could cause an explosion/fire. Don't risk it.
                            Paul </Slugsie>
                            Immortal.so far!

Comment

Working...
                            X