Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear window problem

Hi,

Firstly sorry for starting a new thread on this but everytime i try and search the forum i get an error, and i'm sure someone has already posted about this topic.

Anyway my problem is with the rear window in my 94 surf. The back window wasn't going down, and then someone suggested that it might be because the rear wiper isn't parked properly. So i manually moved the rear wiper and then the window went down. However now it won't go up.

When i press the up button or use the key i just get a clicking sound from behind the passeneger light (which i gather is where the control box is). No amount of wiper wiggling will make it work. Would it be a fair assumption to say that something is wrong with the wiper, if so does anyone know how easy it is to repair or 'hard wire' the wiper so it always thinks its in park (i never use the rear wiper anyway).

Although i'm not that mechanically minded i don't wanna take this to a garage 'cos i'm at college and can't afford it really. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Tom

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/se...earchid=552457

Have a look through these

Wiring the wiper in park isn't a good idea as it could get damaged.
    It's usually a small problem and easily rectified.

Welcome to the forum.
    http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

It could be that the gear teeth on the motor have worn enough that they no longer connect with the teeth on the window mechanism. Have you tried operating the key while grabbing hold of the window and pulling it up, or get a mate to operate the button inside while you pull on the window. If this gets the window back up then at least you can secure the truck.

If the window then goes down when you operate the key or switch, then I would say the gear teeth on the motor could be shot. This means a new motor or as I did, for my 94 LN130 2.4 diesel, a trip to a good local scrap yard and found a similiar looking motor and swap them over. I got my window motor from an MR2 and it cost me 40 quid including mechanism. Milners sell new rear window motors for about a ton.

Hope this help

Comment

It could be that the gear teeth on the motor have worn enough that they no longer connect with the teeth on the window mechanism. Have you tried operating the key while grabbing hold of the window and pulling it up, or get a mate to operate the button inside while you pull on the window. If this gets the window back up then at least you can secure the truck.

If the window then goes down when you operate the key or switch, then I would say the gear teeth on the motor could be shot. This means a new motor or as I did, for my 94 LN130 2.4 diesel, a trip to a good local scrap yard and found a similiar looking motor and swap them over. I got my window motor from an MR2 and it cost me 40 quid including mechanism. Milners sell new rear window motors for about a ton.

Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by ToRkani View Post
          Hi,

Firstly sorry for starting a new thread on this but everytime i try and search the forum i get an error, and i'm sure someone has already posted about this topic.

Anyway my problem is with the rear window in my 94 surf. The back window wasn't going down, and then someone suggested that it might be because the rear wiper isn't parked properly. So i manually moved the rear wiper and then the window went down. However now it won't go up.

When i press the up button or use the key i just get a clicking sound from behind the passeneger light (which i gather is where the control box is). No amount of wiper wiggling will make it work. Would it be a fair assumption to say that something is wrong with the wiper, if so does anyone know how easy it is to repair or 'hard wire' the wiper so it always thinks its in park (i never use the rear wiper anyway).

Although i'm not that mechanically minded i don't wanna take this to a garage 'cos i'm at college and can't afford it really. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
          Tom

I have a control module, complete with new relays fitted, for 20 quid if you want it!

If you remove the plastic trim inside that covers the wiper mechanism, you can unplug the connector to disable the wiper.

Comment

Rear window

Mine had a similar problem, cause was a broken wire between tailgate and body. Not visibly broken, only inside the insulation so only found by ringing all the wires thru with a meter.

Gordon
            2nd gen Ltd

Comment

Cheers for all the quick replies. Its def not the cog teeth cos i took the back off and checked, there is no power going to it just the click from the control box.

Comment

Working...
              X