X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power outlet

Hi
    On my ssrg auto 3.0 i have a power outlet option on the o/s rear trim panel
    It has a 12v cigar type outlet and a 2 bladed 100volt 100w ac outlet! I tested with my trusty tester and yes 100 volts ac current!

Wow mains ac current!!
    But what use could this be I ask myself?
    I know harking back to my days selling American Rv's that they come with 110v outputs.was wondering if american mains appliances would work off this outlet (I know the Cycle is slightly different) But maybe some of you electrical genius may know?

How does It work? Is it an inverter that converts 12volt power?

Sorry lots of demanding questions i know but It seems a shame to ignore It!!!

Cheers

Neil
    www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

neil yes there will be an inverter fitted somewhere you can replace with 240volt for around £50 ive seen some on ebay but upgrade your wiring to cope with 240v
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
      neil yes there will be an inverter fitted somewhere you can replace with 240volt for around £50 ive seen some on ebay but upgrade your wiring to cope with 240v
      Thanks Marky

Just got to find the pesky varmint now!!

Cheers

Neil

Comment

possibly behind rear side panels or under seats somewhere, you might be running inverter off one of your 2 batteries so look for those wires & trace them a 12v inverter runs off a battery not the alternator so keep your eyes peeled, 240 volts is the way to go, but fit a circuit breaker in the cabling to protect yourself
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

Decided to stay with the 100volts for the moment(It will charge my laptop ok)
          And wire in a uk 3 pin plug.
          Have done the above but am concerned that I cannot tell which is live and which is neutral!! I have used a switched 3 pin socketand guessed as to the polarity just to check it works. but I wont leave it like that until I know a way to check the polarity coming from the inverter! Dont want a continuous live to the switch!

All I got is 2 wires one orange and one green!

Anyone know how to check this please!
          Cheers
          Neil

Comment

Originally posted by europa88
            Decided to stay with the 100volts for the moment(It will charge my laptop ok)
            And wire in a uk 3 pin plug.
            Have done the above but am concerned that I cannot tell which is live and which is neutral!! I have used a switched 3 pin socketand guessed as to the polarity just to check it works. but I wont leave it like that until I know a way to check the polarity coming from the inverter! Dont want a continuous live to the switch!

All I got is 2 wires one orange and one green!

Anyone know how to check this please!
            Cheers
            Neil
            I may be wrong here but as the inverter is providing 100V AC then it matters not one iota which is live and which is neutral.

However I would think that the orange is most likely to be live, the green will be neutral.

Anyone think I'm wrong - I ain't no electrician.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
              I may be wrong here but as the inverter is providing 100V AC then it matters not one iota which is live and which is neutral.

However I would think that the orange is most likely to be live, the green will be neutral.

Anyone think I'm wrong - I ain't no electrician.

Cheers
              You are right Andy, you will get the voltage whichever way around it is because it is actually 2-phase 100volts and not single phase like the domestic supply.

The way to check Neil is to check the voltage from each pin to the chassis ground and see what voltage you get. If you get 50volts on each then it is 2-phase if you get 100volts on one and 0volts on the other then it is single phase and the live is the one with the voltage.

The easiest option is to not give a damn and plug multivoltage stuff into it
              If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Thanks Rich
                I was getting confused with a domestic supply!

Cheers
                Neil

Comment

for a 240v inverter, try cdc truck accessories... www.truckstuff.co.uk they won't power much though off a 12v battery... perhaps a tv and a lamp... don't expect to boil the kettle and tumble dry the clothes!
                  the bigger wattage type need to be wired directly to the battery with only about a foot of cable, but a few blokes at work run playstations quite happily off small inverters.
                  Last edited by dabigman; 24 March 2004, 21:12.
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                  X