Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Make Your Switches Glow Again!

Hi All,

Like so many people with a 15 year old Surf I was disturbed that the dash switches had lost their "Glow" and ability to be seen at night.

I have found a way to fix this very simply and cheaply and make them brilliant again.

Firstly you must understand that when the surf was "new" these switches lit up quite well and did their job perfectly!

So what has changed?

Well mostly only the age of course!

If the switch isn't working at all then without a shadow of doubt you have a blown bulb which will need replaced.

However, as a bulb gets older (in most cases 15 years it well past their lifespan!) it will very often get dimmer so LET'S REPLACE AND CLEAN THEM ALL while we are at it shall we?

You can get the replacements here:-

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...=1955&doy=20m1

The code is BT43W

N.B. Make sure you get the 12V ones!

OK so far?

Right!

So we have our new bulbs, what do we do with them?

The first thing you will notice is that the new bulbs will be smaller than the old ones, don't worry they are the same power and will do their job very nicely!

When I removed my switches I found that their were 2 types of bulbs, the ones we can replace with the new ones directly and smaller LED types.

Removing the old bulbs and replacing with the new ones is a DODDLE!

Turn the grey bulb holder anti clockwise with a small screwdriver and it will fall out!

The bulb is held in by the 2 wire tails you can see, fiddle around and they will come out no problems!

To put the new ones in just do the reverse, put the two wire tails through the 2 holes, then wrap them around the tabs, no need to trim as the more you wrap around the better contact you make on the elements!

Remember to clean the little elements on the switch as will so as to make good contact with the wire tails, I used a small screwdriver to scratch the surfaces clean and shiney.

Replacing the bulbs is only half the task, we also need to clean the surfaces the bulb illuminates as well.

I found the most of my switches were filthy with dirt and carbon deposits, NO WONDER THE BULB COULDN'T BE SEEN!

Use a cotton Bud and a good cleaner, I used Glass Cleaner!

Clean the switches very throughly and remember to shine them up!

The LED's of which there are 16 can be found in the:-

ECT SWITCH (1 Green LED)
    IDLE UP SWITCH (1 Clear LED)
    WINDOW/DOOR CONTROLS (5 Green LED's)
    HEATER CONTROLS (6 Green & 2 Orange LED's)

Clean these as well and make sure the part of the switch that they shine through is clean and they will come back to life quite nicely!

No need to replace unless they do not work but because they are LED's this is VERY rare!

The hardest ones to do are the console one on the drivers armrest (windows etc.), just pop the flat panel off, undo the 2 multi plugs and lift it out.

Bring it in the house and you can get at the bulbs by popping off the "Door Lock Button" and the "Window Lock Button" with any suitable tool!

The others will come off very easily after you remove the pin that hold them on.

This is done by removing the pin lock and pushing the pin out!

The buttons can then be lifted off easy peasy!

You will probably notice, like me that these LED bulbs and switch surfaces will be filthy!

That is why we couldn't see them!

Clean them well and they will be fine!

While you are at it you can also do the heater controls, the buttons pop off very easily and if you clean the LED's, the little clear plastic reflecting surfaces (the light travels up from the bulbs) and the clear plastic inserts of the button itself the buttons glow will be 10 times better!

Here are the switches and what you will need to do!

REAR WINDOW - Replace 12V Bulb and clean switch surfaces (Pop switch out to get at bulb)

ECT SWITCH - Clean LED (Green) and clean surfaces VERY throughly! (Face of button pops off very easily!)

HEATER CONTROLS - Clean LED's (6 Green & 2 Orange I think!) and clean ALL (you will see clear plastic that light from main bulbs travels up) surfaces VERY throughly! (Face of buttons pop off very easily!)

HEATED REAR WINDOW - Replace 2 12V Bulbs and clean switch surfaces (Pop switch out to get at bulbs)

HAZZARD WARNING - Replace 12V Bulb and clean switch surfaces (Pop switch out to get at bulb)

IDLE UP - Replace 12V Bulb & Clean LED also clean switch surfaces (Face of button pops off very easily to get at bulb and LED)

HARD/SOFT SWITCH - Replace 12V Bulb and clean switch surfaces (Pop switch out to get at bulb)

DRIVERS WINDOW CONTROLS - Explained above!

If you do this you will notice a vast improvement as I did!

A very simple and effective job to do!

No need to buy fancy LED's etc.

Have FUN!

Later!

Gary

Thats fantastic !!

My control lights are naff, I'm going to get onto this very soon.

thanks for posting,

Chris
    Signature stolen along with Surf...

Comment

Re How To Make Your Switches Glow Again!

i have read what you have said but a bit confused with bulbs and led,s the led,s you have quoted will do all the switches ?? ie door lock and window buttons 5 green. hazard switch is that a green 1 as well ..am new to all this thanks in advance Gary

Comment

Excellent write up, guess what I will be doing one weekend soon?
        What about the gearstick lights? mine dont work at all, although I think it may be a loose connection as they did come on once for about 3 seconds!
        Ebay search item 230357761354 !

Comment

Re

Don't worry about the LED's!

They are built in and all you need to do is give them a good clean (no need to replace them)!

The bulbs are the ones you can replace to get maximum brightness again.

If you do it systematically you will see exactly what I mean.

Go out and pop the switch out of the ECT and carefully pop the face off it.

You will see a little round green LED bulb that is fixed to the switch!

Give it a good clean, give the place where it shines "through" a good clean as well (the face that you popped off!).

It really is a breeze to do guys and WELL worth the effort!

Gary

P.S. I should really of took pics but I was carried away with the thrill of fiddling with tools and stuff!

The "gear stick" ones coming on for a wee while would sure as hell make me think it was a loose wire!

The unit isn't that hard to take apart!

Have a go at it!

Gary

P.P.S. It little piece of aluminium foil can also be carefully placed in a switch to reflect the light!

I never needed to do this but it's a thought!
          Last edited by hellmett; 30 January 2008, 22:15.

Comment

is there any bulbs behind the heater control and the red and blue slide control ..thanks for your info ..Gary

Comment

There are 2 bulbs, 286 or 501/506 type (cannot remember which now!) behind the heater controls! (not including the green/orange LED's)

These are very easy to get!

Halfords should have them!

The 2 bulbs are a bugger to get at though, you need to take the plastic panel off and take the screws out of the front of the control unit.

When it is loose, try and turn it around until you can see the bulbs are in holders twisted into the back! (the wires will show you where!)

Manovering the unit is hard because of the 2 cables for the heating controls, but you will get it being persistant!

These bulbs also reflect light via clear plastic conduits to the switches to make them glow!

I replaced mine and it is WELL worth doing!

I hated the "yellow" glow of my bulbs so I coloured them using a blue "sharpie" marker and now they have a blue/white glow the same as my headlights!

If you are going to attempt to do this remember!

Replace ALL the bulbs you can with new ones!
              Clean the shit out of all the switches and conduits etc.
              Also, when you have the dash apart, think about cleaning and servicing other items such as lubricating the heater controls etc.

Later!

Gary
              Attached Files
              Last edited by hellmett; 30 January 2008, 22:34.

Comment

thanks so much Gary...Gary

Comment

Excellent .....
                  Done mine too over last few days and big improvement - didn't even know half of them were supposed to light up!
                  Nick...... Turning Japanese, I really think so !!

Comment

what a wicked thread! nice one dude, will be fitting stereo AND doing all the bulbs this wkend!
                    www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                    X