• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flat batteries

not used the surf for 4 days and the $$$$$$ batteries are flat
    to be honest the engine turnover has been slow for a while
    anyhow
    ive changed the batteries now (which have gone up due to higher lead charges
    i went to start the car up and there was a beeping noise
    ive turned the car back over and the beeping has now gone

is it anything to worry about?

oh yeah the engine flies now when starting
    at the end of the day................ it gets dark

Mines playing up as well,
    have you had battery problems recently in cold weather?

i've been told to look at starter and earthing straps etc
    right now its on charge overnight, and is about once a week, as thats how long it seems to last
    between no-go mornings.

Suppose its simply taking more out in electrical terms than it can recoup on short journeys to work

Comment

Originally posted by henry F
      Mines playing up as well,
      have you had battery problems recently in cold weather?

i've been told to look at starter and earthing straps etc
      right now its on charge overnight, and is about once a week, as thats how long it seems to last
      between no-go mornings.

Suppose its simply taking more out in electrical terms than it can recoup on short journeys to work
      If you get someone to test the batterys, make sure they disconnect one first, most muppets just bung the tester on each one, and all you get then is the average of both.

9 times out of 10 its the batterys, if they are still the ones it was imported with, bin them both and get new ones.

As Shaggy said, I'm paying £10 a battery more than in the summer!! Damn Chinese!!
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

funny that... my chinese stays the same price all year!... but the kebabs heav recently gone up to £3.50!!!
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

He did indeed check them in-situ, the last time this happened it was ONE new battery and good another year

Comment

Originally posted by henry F
            He did indeed check them in-situ, the last time this happened it was ONE new battery and good another year
            Merityre by chance ? [cue muppet soundtrack]
            Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Fraid' not Trev
              although TBH the numpties are Legion' these days

Comment

i had them both checked out seperatly and both were naff
                they had chinese writing all over them so presumed they were on when imported
                just so you know they are 068 & 069 if you need to ring round for them
                i got the lead calcium type for £40 each + vat from 5 star batteries in rothwell leeds and have used this guy for 15 years now and never had to take one back under warrenty etc

the car fires up twice as fast as it did now so i suspect they have been on their way out for some time and the cold weather has been the final straw so to speek

Comment

Originally posted by shaggy
                  is it anything to worry about?
                  Yes I think you ought to check you don't have a slow discharge draining the battery down. I can measure 200ma ie nearly 1/4 amp always draining from the battery, which after some days of no driving can make all the difference whether it can start on a cold & frosty morning.

Comment

Originally posted by fv1620
                    Yes I think you ought to check you don't have a slow discharge draining the battery down. I can measure 200ma ie nearly 1/4 amp always draining from the battery, which after some days of no driving can make all the difference whether it can start on a cold & frosty morning.
                    ive had it done mate and the guy said there was a drain and traced it to be from the clifford alarm and the drain is within the alarms operating perameters aparently so time will tell
                    all was fine till it got really cold but like i say its been lazy at starting for some time

just a footnote here though
                    most sports cars ie:- bentley/ferrari etc do a kit that you plug into the mains because after a week or so they wont start due to the security and trackers etc so could your drain (or any body elses be the alarm?)
                    i didnt use mine for nearly 10 days in the summer and it still started even with the alarm active

Comment

ive had it done mate and the guy said there was a drain and traced it to be from the clifford alarm and the drain is within the alarms operating perameters aparently so time will tell
                      all was fine till it got really cold but like i say its been lazy at starting for some time

just a footnote here though
                      most sports cars ie:- bentley/ferrari etc do a kit that you plug into the mains because after a week or so they wont start due to the security and trackers etc so could your drain (or any body elses be the alarm?)
                      i didnt use mine for nearly 10 days in the summer and it still started even with the alarm active
                      the alarm drain will be tiny,and top endssports cars,go into sleep mode after 7 days normaly,so u just open with key

Comment

I get about 40ma drain from my alarm which seems reasonable & is about the same as I get on my caravan alarm. But there is something else that contributes to 200ma that comes off the "Dome" circuit, which is not right I'm sure. It is not the bulbs being slightly switched on, the drain occurs with no bulbs.

I bought an "intelligent" battery charger from Argos. A very small unit that was programmed to charge at different rates & when charged went into a "float" charge state. This tucked under the bonnet & seemed ideal to do a little top up on cold winter nights. Unfortunately it couldn't cope with there being a constant drain. It kept clicking on & off, so never got into its proper cycle, so gave up on that.

Comment

just so you know they are 068 & 069 if you need to ring round for them
                          i got the lead calcium type for £40 each + vat
                          Commodity price of lead is rising rapidly. Batteries are now approx 33% more expensive than last summer.

068 and 069 are now £69 each ... Ouch

A pair was about £70 twelve months ago
                          Last edited by icsys; 1 February 2008, 16:38.
                          Ian
                          One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

Working...
                          X