**URGANT** No power windows / no dash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **URGANT** No power windows / no dash

I was doing some work on the Hilux today, and i was curious to see if i could start the truck on just one battery (truck has dual battery set up) When i tried this, the glow plugs and everything turned on, but when i engaged the starter, there was a "unhealthy" sound. I just figured , "i guess i cant" . I put the ground back on the second battery and continued doing my work. Changed all the diffys/transfer case/tranny fluids, replaced rear shocks, and greased the hole drive line.

When i went to start up the truck, i noticed that NOTHING was coming up on the dash when i turned the key. I could hear the glow plugs working, and the truck started, but no tack, no oil pressure, no lights what so ever. The only light that works is the battery light. I also have to jam it into drive. It does now want to get out of park? Heres a list of what works, and what doesnt.

Does not work:

Power Windows
    All dash service lights (glow plug, timing belt etc)
    All gauges, except gas gauge
    sunroof
    Power doors when pressing button on door

Works :

Power Doors when pressing keyless remote.
    Tailgate window
    headlights
    dash back lights (lights up the dash)
    hard / soft suspension (light works also)

Vehicle :

1992 Hilux Surf 2lte with dual batteries

I checked all the fuses (foot panel / engine bay) , they are all fine, unless im missing a fusebox somewhere. I couldnt find anything that says "power windows". I dont know what to do because my window is STUCK OPEN! Its suppose to snow in a few days... Is there a way to close the window ?? Like taking the door panel off and "boosting" the window motor or powering the motor yourself? I just REALLY need to close that window, i can live without the dash for a while, but not without a window.
    Last edited by raboyto2; 16 November 2007, 07:54.

if you disconnect both batteries again,and whilst you have them disconnected,check that you have very good eath(ground ) connections.it sounds as if you have an earth fault.some functions on these trucks tend to work if a connection is lost (auxilliary cooling fan for instance) but some functions stop working.so check all earth connections as well as the circuit between batteries/body/starter

good luck !!
    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Just a stab in the dark, if your sure youve checked all fuses, including the big 40 - 80 amp jobs under the bonnet, the try disconnectin the positive from both batteries, and tapping the terminal on the positive terminal, then reconnect and try, if nothing try again the same with negs.

When i used to work for an autoelectricians thats how they sometimes kickstarted the ecu to work properly. Woth a go.
      Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

That sounds like everything behind the big "AUX" fuse;

Comment

You can get the window to go up just by running a couple of wires from the battery directly to the window motor. If it goes down, reverse the polarity (obviously).

Comment

Thanks for all the help you guys. I have inspected all the fuses, but not the relays. I will also check all the grounds. Il do some electrical "digging". This sucks...

Comment

Originally posted by raboyto2
              Thanks for all the help you guys. I have inspected all the fuses, but not the relays. I will also check all the grounds. Il do some electrical "digging". This sucks...
              There is a 10A fuse in the ones located in the drivers footwell which when blown gives similar symptoms, mine blow every so often.
              Got an itch, might need to scratch it soon.

Comment

Update : 4wd does not work (no light, and does not work mechanically) , also, none of the heater controls work. Everything on the dash lights up, but does not work.

Comment

After searching for 3 hours, i came to the conclusion that it was this relay :

(picture came from this wiring diagram : http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsit...s/wiring10.jpg )

Turns out that relay is connected to alot of thing, now to just find the damn thing. I thought that it was behind the fuse box, but when i was playing around with the fuse box, i found out that the clip inside the fuse box (that holds the fuse in place) that is connected TO that relay, was pushed out. Thats all it was. That little tiny 10amp fuse wasnt connected. (it was still getting power from one side, but couldnt touch the other)

Crazy how something so little can impact so much.

Comment

Working...
                  X