Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get the radio out?

Hello
    I got my Surf 2 weeks ago with a Panasonic GPS an TV system fitted. Unfortunatly there doesn't seem to be any power to it so I would like to get at the back of it to check power supplies etc. I would also like to fit my own head unit and CD changer. I have had a poke around the dash but had to stop short of breaking somthing in an attempt to gain acsess. I am sure it is quite straight forward when you know how but unfortunatly I don't. Can anybody help? I have a '96 3.0 ltr Auto.
    Also, if anyone knows if it is possible to get the GPS system converted to english I would be greatful to hear from them. Thanks for the help.
    Mike.

Welcome to the forum .

The answer to your question is about 6 threads below this one at the moment .

Comment

Oh yeh....
      Well thanks anyway Andy for that. Any advice about getting GPS and TV converted to English.
      Cheers, Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by Uppies
        Oh yeh....
        Well thanks anyway Andy for that. Any advice about getting GPS and TV converted to English.
        Cheers, Mike.
        apparently can't be done... looked everywhere for chips/software... just go get a uk spec one, much cheaper!... get a good spec pda with nav. i got a compaq ipaq with tomtom nav.... good gps and loadsa little toys even get on the internet with it thru a mobile and play games! (no tv though!)
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by Uppies
          Hello
          I got my Surf 2 weeks ago with a Panasonic GPS an TV system fitted. Unfortunatly there doesn't seem to be any power to it so I would like to get at the back of it to check power supplies etc. I would also like to fit my own head unit and CD changer. I have had a poke around the dash but had to stop short of breaking somthing in an attempt to gain acsess. I am sure it is quite straight forward when you know how but unfortunatly I don't. Can anybody help? I have a '96 3.0 ltr Auto.
          Also, if anyone knows if it is possible to get the GPS system converted to english I would be greatful to hear from them. Thanks for the help.
          Mike.
          Here's the procedure for the 3rd Gen Radio Removal.

Remove two screws from inside Armrest cubby floor at rear of centre console.
          Remove two screws from sides of front edge of centre console rear section.
          Move this rear section backwards about 1 inch.
          Lift the rear edge of the panel (wood) surrounding the gear and 4wd levers, and move rearwards about 1 inch. If you have an auto it will help to take it out of Park (using that little red button every newbie wonders about)
          Pull off slider knobs from heater controls.
          Heater control facia must now be prised off, this is tricky and will break easily so have the superglue ready.
          With this facia off, remove the two screws securing the centre dash panel (wood surround).
          The main centre dash panel can now be removed, this will pull straight off, grip at the bash and pull gently.
          The radio and/or pocket assembly is secured with two (four ?) screws, and is now easily accessible
          Maurice
          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

fitting one after the old one is out

if you are taking the old big standard stereo out there is a couple of metal brackets on the side, remove them and they should fit on the side of the new one and screw straight to the dash..... You may ave to tap a thread into the new head unit, no drama. It did work though..

Comment

Originally posted by agoo77 View Post
              if you are taking the old big standard stereo out there is a couple of metal brackets on the side, remove them and they should fit on the side of the new one and screw straight to the dash..... You may ave to tap a thread into the new head unit, no drama. It did work though..
              I think he would of got it fitted by now as the last post was 5 years ago......
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                I think he would of got it fitted by now as the last post was 5 years ago......
                Maybe not. I got projects I started 5 or more years ago.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                  Maybe not. I got projects I started 5 or more years ago.

Nev
                  now if it was diy then i got plenty here i started and not finished...lol

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                    now if it was diy then i got plenty here i started and not finished...lol
                    but you have an excuse Richard
                    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev View Post
                      but you have an excuse Richard
                      well for the last 3 years but the 2 or so years before that i ain't got an excuse

Comment

No idea how to remove the later models. It depends on the fitter sometimes. I had to rmove mine on a LN130 with a few of the tools not usually used for radios such as tin snips, side cutters a couple of levers and I think even a hacksaw. The radio (not factory) had been installed by a butcher and was impossible to remove any other way other than to chop it up in bits. It was hammered into the dash to make it fit judging by all the dents in the back and sides of it.

Nev

Comment

Working...
                        X