battery flat and immobiliser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• battery flat and immobiliser

Firstly apologies for being totally useless with cars. Can anyone help me at all - my 2.4 hilux surf battery is totally flat (lights left on over night, oops) and so far nothing has worked. I have tried two sizes of jump leads and charging the battery with a charger. Still have a dead car, although now the lights etc come on. what is confusing me is that the immobiliser on the car is acting differntly to usual. Normally i put in this little fob thing and it starts flashing and beeping, and they i put the key in the ignition and it starts. Now after doing nothing at all, it is flashing rapidly but the car will not start. Is there a reset button or something specific i should be doing?
    Many thanks in advance
    H xx

Originally posted by honey
    Firstly apologies for being totally useless with cars. Can anyone help me at all - my 2.4 hilux surf battery is totally flat (lights left on over night, oops) and so far nothing has worked. I have tried two sizes of jump leads and charging the battery with a charger. Still have a dead car, although now the lights etc come on. what is confusing me is that the immobiliser on the car is acting differntly to usual. Normally i put in this little fob thing and it starts flashing and beeping, and they i put the key in the ignition and it starts. Now after doing nothing at all, it is flashing rapidly but the car will not start. Is there a reset button or something specific i should be doing?
    Many thanks in advance
    H xx

Hi Honey hehehe!!

Do you have two batteries on your Surf? If so, you need to remove the cables from one of them and charge them seperately as your charger is trying to charge both batteries at the same time.

If you only have one battery, then it sounds like the battery isn't charged enough, especially if it completely discharged overnight. Diesel engines need a lot of battery power to start.

Comment

thanks bushwhacker I do have two batteries but not sure if battery charger is big enough to cope. do i need to do one battery then the other and how long should it take roughly to recharge one from flat. h

Comment

Originally posted by honey
        thanks bushwhacker I do have two batteries but not sure if battery charger is big enough to cope. do i need to do one battery then the other and how long should it take roughly to recharge one from flat. h

Just disconnect one of the battery's positive lead and connect the charger cables to the battery and leave it charging overnight.
        In the morning, remove the charger and re-connect the positive cable.
        There should be enough power to start the engine and once running, the other battery will get charged by the alternator.

Comment

over night unless u have a powerfull charger
          Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Thanks again have now done that so I will now sleep on it and check in the morning h xx

Comment

Hi folks. have now tried charging the battery and connected the live back onto the second battery and unfortunatley I still have the same problem. I have a little key fob immobiliser to the right of my ignition and when I put the fob into the terminal it should make a repetative beeping noise but I'm not getting a thing and the little red light next to it, I think, is flashing faster than normal. Is there a problem with it? or is there something I need to do to reset it as the battery has been flat? Also I found my daughter playing in the front seat of the car and being 2 she likes to press buttons is there anything she could have pressed to cause this problem. Hopefully someone can help as I am going on a long drive tomorrow and need the car. Thanks h xx

Comment

if the lights and everything else is working then it could be the immobiliser buggering about. Does the glowplug light come on when you turn the ignition on? do any of the other dash lights? and does it try and turn the engine over, or just do nothing when you try and start it?
                =========
                =SOLD UP!=
                =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
                  if the lights and everything else is working then it could be the immobiliser buggering about. Does the glowplug light come on when you turn the ignition on? do any of the other dash lights? and does it try and turn the engine over, or just do nothing when you try and start it?
                  look around the starter relay,is it immobilised near there
                  Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Thanks for all your help but still nothing - is definately the immobiliser so have emailed them for help.xx

Comment

are any of these top three near you? try giving them a ring they may be able to help http://www.mesf.org.uk/html/scotland.htm
                      =========
                      =SOLD UP!=
                      =========

Comment

just disconnect both lives,have a cuppa,re connect and try

Comment

Working...
                        X