Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin Batteries

Hi all,

My surf has a single battery fitted as has many out there. But I do a lot of sea fishing and would like to run a couple of spot lights on the tailgate in order to bait up easier.

So, how easy is it to fit a second battery? Can you wire them in parrallel/series or is it not that simple??

Cheers,

Martin
    Which Wychwood would you choose?

in theory you could just run them in parralel.

You may be better off running a split charge kit or marine type battery switch anyway then you can run your spotlights all night long knowing that you won't be flattening your starter battery.
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Comment

The twin battery Surfs have them wired up in parallel so they provide more ooompf for starting, but still provide 12v. If you are wanting the additional battery just to run lights off, then you probably want a leisure type battery connected on a split charge system. The idea being that when the engine is running there is some form of relay that connects the second battery up and allows it to charge. When the engine isn't running the battery is disconnected so that if it discharges the main battery is unaffected and can still start the engine. It should be pretty easy to wire this up if you're moderately confident with electrical stuff.
      Paul </Slugsie>
      Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by hobgoblin
        Hi all,

My surf has a single battery fitted as has many out there. But I do a lot of sea fishing and would like to run a couple of spot lights on the tailgate in order to bait up easier.

So, how easy is it to fit a second battery? Can you wire them in parrallel/series or is it not that simple??

Cheers,

Martin
        Was thinking about that meself n would be rather handy !!
        But pretty dumb at Electricals ....

There's always a Payback .... Ya just won't see it Comin !!!!
        Buncefield Burner

Comment

This is what i am using i have a normal battery to run the engine and a 110 amp leisure battery to run winch and roof lights.It wont let power back through so it wont drain the engine battery

http://www.sterling-power.com/products-diodes.htm
          I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

Just found this on fleabay;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/INTELLIGENT-V-...QQcmdZViewItem

Would this work?

Martin

Comment

Very expensive you can make one for less than half that price if a relay is the way you want to go.The way the split charger i have works is you take the original cable of the alternator fit new cable and run it to the middle connection on the split charger and then run a wire to the + on each battery and thats it.I did fit a fuse on each cable going to the battery just incase i think the whole thing cost me about £70 that was including split charger,fuses and holders,cable,110 amp battery and a ford transit battery tray
              I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

Originally posted by kiowa
                i think the whole thing cost me about £70 that was including split charger,fuses and holders,cable,110 amp battery and a ford transit battery tray
                Cheers kiowa, yours does make that one expensive by the time you add all the other bits & pieces.
                Going to have a word with the lad a couple of doors along. Been told tonight that he's an autoleccy and should be able to sort something out cheaply.

Cheers for the help lads.

Martin

Comment

check out some of these mods

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/electrical.htm
                  Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Working...
                  X