Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Mistery

Hi,

I need someone who can diagnose what is draining OUR batteries.

I'm having problems with both my 95 3.0L AND my wife's 93 3.0L, although we don't know how old the batteries are.

If the needle does not pass mid-way across the ammeter we know the motor will probably not start and on my wife's Surf some times the needle only gets to a quarter the way across.

Jump start the motor, drive it a couple of miles and for the next 5 days the Surf starts as though it has new batteries. Ammeter needle easily passed half way. Gradually the power drops until it won't start again. My motor acts similarly. It almost as though there's a connection that's fine some times and poor at other times. Strange that BOTH our Surfs are doing the same thing

A battery company checked my batteries and said they were fine, just at a very low state of charge. I've checked all four batteries with an hydrometer and all seem ok.

All battery terminals have been well cleaned.

Any help gratefully received.
    Brian

are the connections on the batterys lose, altermater(spelt wrong) on it's way out

Comment

Originally posted by sledge
      are the connections on the batterys lose, altermater(spelt wrong) on it's way out
      Battery connections are all tight and very clean. I think the alternators are working as the needles swing right across the ammeter with the engine running and after a short run the engines start fine.
      Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Panrixx
        Battery connections are all tight and very clean. I think the alternators are working as the needles swing right across the ammeter with the engine running and after a short run the engines start fine.
        have you got anything wired straight on the batt?

Comment

Originally posted by sledge
          have you got anything wired straight on the batt?
          Both motors have alarms fitted but they are different makes.

I have noticed that my clock stays illuminated all the time but my wife's only comes on when the ignition is ON. I would have thought that the clock only uses minimal power.
          Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Panrixx
            Both motors have alarms fitted but they are different makes.

I have noticed that my clock stays illuminated all the time but my wife's only comes on when the ignition is ON. I would have thought that the clock only uses minimal power.
            Engine to body earth strap may be broken or hanging by a couple of strands.
            Check the starter relay on the inner wing by the fuse box.

Comment

Get 2 good batts from a s c r a ppy and that should answer it. I got 2 for £20 and mines been fine since. Also check the water in the battery is topped up.

A couple extra things to try if anything
              Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Working...
              X