No headlamps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No headlamps

Got in my Surf last night turned on side lights-fine, turned on headlamps-nothing except main beam warning light on dash. No headlamps at all or main beam, unless I use the flash funtion on the stalk, then I get main beam but have to hold it on.

Have had a look today and I have now lost side lights too. Checked all fuses and there all ok. Does it sound like a relay problem? and if so where can i get a new one from? Everything else electrical works fine, just the light circuit playing up.

Originally posted by TUE
    Got in my Surf last night turned on side lights-fine, turned on headlamps-nothing except main beam warning light on dash. No headlamps at all or main beam, unless I use the flash funtion on the stalk, then I get main beam but have to hold it on.

Have had a look today and I have now lost side lights too. Checked all fuses and there all ok. Does it sound like a relay problem? and if so where can i get a new one from? Everything else electrical works fine, just the light circuit playing up.

Likely culprits are the contacts in the stalk switch on the steering column.
    Make sure they are not pitted. They can be cleaned with some fine emery or wet-or-dry paper.

Comment

I know you checked the fuses but i had the same problem it was a fuse in the drivers side footwell 20a i think. have you checked there??

Comment

Originally posted by hiroler
        I know you checked the fuses but i had the same problem it was a fuse in the drivers side footwell 20a i think. have you checked there??
        Yep, I've checked the fuses in the footwell and under the bonnet. I have found the headlamp relay under the bonnet, but can't find where the tail light relay is mounted, anyone know where it is?

Comment

Ok, so I have replaced both the headlamp and tail lamp relay, but still no headlamps. While having a poke around under the steering column I noticed a rather charrd wire and have discovered the white/black earth wire was melted in the multi plug. I have now remade the join, and this has given me the ability to use the flash function, but I still have no side lights or headlamps . Could this mean the column switch could be faulty, or does anyone know of any other earth wires I should check incase they have melted too?

Comment

Originally posted by TUE
            .... . Could this mean the column switch could be faulty....
            As Vince said above - Yes - the contacts in the switch may be corroded or dirty. This can occasionally happen. You will need to dismantle the switch - beware of flying springs and pay attention to how it is assembled. And dull or pitted contacts should be given a rub with some fine emery paper.
            Maurice
            Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Right, got the stalk off the car and on the dining room table. How do I get the end off so I can get inside the headlamp stalk? I can get to the contacts for the main beam and indicators (which are fine), but the contacts for the headlamps are in the stalk itself and I can't get at them. How do I get to them please?

Comment

Problem solved. No headlamps due to Light switch. No side lights due to yet another bad earth in the multi plug. Normal lights service has resummed

Thanks to Supersurf for the switch unit, and help (Oh and fixing my central locking)

Comment

Working...
                X