yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear window motor swap, which rear window?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear window motor swap, which rear window?

Hi there, I'm going to have to go for a quick fix for my tailgate window which just isn't responding to recent tlc. So I was going to replace it with one of the rear window motors for the time being but found references here to using the left hand side one and then on another thread, the drivers door side one. So which is it?

If I can't get hold of a replacement motor for a fair price, what's the chances of being able to repair the motor? It still tries to work but gets stuck, makes a clicking noise, which I guess just means it's too much effort for it. The teeth look a little worn and the sprocket is wobbly, if that means anything to anybody. There was a picture up on this forum which showed a fix for the motor but now the site's back up there's no pics anywhere so if anyone can supply any more info I'd be really grateful.

Many thanks (again)

I managed tp pick up motor from local scra ppy for £45 from an MR2. Bit fiddly to fit, but I have short fat fingers. The only thing I had to change was the connector block on the wires.
    Could ask them if they have anything suitable if you want.
    My other cars a QUAD
    (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
    http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

So the drive gear shouldn't just pull straight out then?

I can pull the drive gear straight out of the motor, it isn't secured by any circlip.

At least I know I'm on the right track, can't take it apart until this evening. But which passenger door do I attack? I took the passenger side rear door apart last night but couldn't figure out how to remove the motor in the dark. Is it secured in place in a different way from the tailgate motor?

Many thanks.

Comment

rear window motor

hi i have a spare one like new you will just have to change the plug on the end £20 i am in bolton thanks chris

Comment

Chris, consider that a deal!! How easy is it to change the plug? PM me with your details etc and I'll send you the money. Many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonka
            Chris, consider that a deal!! How easy is it to change the plug? PM me with your details etc and I'll send you the money. Many thanks.
            just cut the wires a bit longer so you can fit joiners onto them and thats it
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

just cut the wires a bit longer so you can fit joiners onto them and thats it
              Ah, of course, I imagined taking the connector blocks apart and trying to desolder etc but it'll be much simpler to cut the wires away from the blocks and crimp/solder connectors. Great tip.

Comment

So it was the circlip, but.

The circlip inside the motor was snapped, so I should be able to get it going again with a bit of luck. The motor was full of $$$$ though and I guess it should be repacked with grease of some kind. Would LM do? Not really sure what you should put inside an electric motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonka
                  The circlip inside the motor was snapped, so I should be able to get it going again with a bit of luck. The motor was full of $$$$ though and I guess it should be repacked with grease of some kind. Would LM do? Not really sure what you should put inside an electric motor.
                  i would think so as there is anything electrical in that part of the motor and its just to keep the cogs lubed
                  https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Or maybe not.......

My wonder fix worked for all of 3 minutes and then it started jamming up again Grrrrrrrr....I think this motor has had it, so I'm going to need another one after all, you there Chris?

Comment

Well i advise u now m8. Dont take one out of any side doors. I took the one out of the nearside rear door. It was a beeetch to remove. Also i didnt prop the window up so it kept coming halfway down over bumps. Which was a bugger in the rain cos i had to keep pulling over to shut it again. And the motor was held in by star head bolts, so had to get a starhead screwdriver attachment and a teeny weeny spanner and do it all by feel, with my fore arm rubbing against the big cog. It was really really fiddly and painfull.
                      So yeah, just get a new motor for the tailgate and do a straight replacement.

Comment

rear motor

hi sorry for delay been on hols i have tried to pm you but site will not let me if you still need motor you can ring me on 07866 705639 thanks chris

Comment

It's got worse.............

Right, I'll take that advice and leave the passenger door well alone. Chris, I'll give you a call later (when I've slept off a night shift), many thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X