Radiator Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator Fan

Hi All, I am having some problems with the cooling fan that is in front of the radiator. When the air condition is on the fan comes on, when the ac is switched off the fan stays off. I understand that if I unplug the connection from the sending unit on the termostat housing, the fan should run. This does not happen. I am aware that there are 2 sending units, one for the temp gauge and the other for the fan. If the unit was bad, when unplugged the fan should be on constantly. Any ideas? Can someone als give me the diagram to control the fan with a switch on the dash? Many thanks

Originally posted by Cash4
    Hi All, I am having some problems with the cooling fan that is in front of the radiator. When the air condition is on the fan comes on, when the ac is switched off the fan stays off. I understand that if I unplug the connection from the sending unit on the termostat housing, the fan should run. This does not happen. I am aware that there are 2 sending units, one for the temp gauge and the other for the fan. If the unit was bad, when unplugged the fan should be on constantly. Any ideas? Can someone als give me the diagram to control the fan with a switch on the dash? Many thanks
    I think that is the air con fan and from what you say it is working OK!!
    Did I mention I have a BLUE one
    Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Cash4

Sounds like you got some wireing issues there, the fan should run if you dicconnect the plug from the sensor on the stat houseing or cut the wire, to fit a manual switch just cut that wire and extend the two ends into the cab and attach em to a switch, are the ac fans comeing on as well (thats the two under the front, behind the bash plate, if the ac's opperating the cooling fan (on the front) it sounds like something crossing over or connected wrong,
      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

what model surf have you got? as has already been said, some of them have an aircon fan there in which case it's doing what it should. Others have the underslung aircon unit and a secondary cooling fan where you describe in which case you got problems of some sort.
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

Fans

Thanks for the quick replies. There are two fans located under the engine for the ac unit. When the ac is on boths under fans plus the radiator grille fan runs. However when the ac is off the grille fan does not run. If I unplug the connection to the sending unit the fan should run continious, but this does not happen. Any ideas on how to trouble shoot the problem? Or, if I should just by pass the existing system and re-wire to work with an internal switch and the ac swtch, ideas??
          Oh, its a 1992 ssrx 2L

Comment

Definatly sounds like you got something crossed or connected wrong there! you could disconnect the cooling fan and wire it to a switch (via a relay, 40amp should do) but this means you'd have to keep a close eye on the temp gauge and as the standard one is not too accurate i think you'd really need a good aftermarket gauge, i'm in the process of modding mine and mattf (member on here is sorting out a wireing diagram )so i can run the fans (i'm useing four of em, two in front and the ac fans cooling an extra rad where the ac one was) through battery feeds and the sensor switch so they will work as normal plus they'll run on after the ign is turned off till the temp drops below the sensor setting, also inc a manual switch, when he posts the diagram you might be able to adapt it to suit your single fan, but as a tempory fix i'd rig it to a switch, make sure you use 3mm (heavy'ish gauge )cable for the fan feed (battery) through the relay and to the fan (blue wire is pos if i remember right) normal cable from a batt or ign supply to the switch and relay switching circuit, hope ya get sorted out ok, ian
            Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Working...
            X