What have I done wrong???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What have I done wrong???

Replaced the Toyota speakers (straight replacement into existing sound boxes) front and back after successfully installing JVC headunit. The sound is not very good, with distortion at moderate volume levels (in fact thinking about it, the sound from the new head unit was better with the old speakers!). Speakers are Megavox 4" speakers, 3 way coaxial 120w 4 ohm impedence. The ones I removed are 30w 2 ohm. Is that the problem? Any help appreciated. Thanks all.

Originally posted by carrotcruncher
    Replaced the Toyota speakers (straight replacement into existing sound boxes) front and back after successfully installing JVC headunit. The sound is not very good, with distortion at moderate volume levels (in fact thinking about it, the sound from the new head unit was better with the old speakers!). Speakers are Megavox 4" speakers, 3 way coaxial 120w 4 ohm impedence. The ones I removed are 30w 2 ohm. Is that the problem? Any help appreciated. Thanks all.

Hmmmm 'megavox'

Case of mutton dressed as lamb!

Have you made sure they are TIGHT to the case, any gap and they will be 'tinny' as the air can get to the back instead of being pushed through the box, just did a similar thing the other day with cheap Pioneer drivers.
    Andrew

1994 4-runner 3.0TD

Comment

Also 4" speakers will never do serious volumes ~and~ bass.... Make sure you've not got the bass boosted or the loudness on at 'decent' volumes.

Rob.

Comment

check the polarity on the speakers as well
        Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

definatly check the polarity of teh speakers ie turn wires around and see if sound is better if not then invest £25 in some pionear / kenwood from halfrauds iv got a set in mine and they are great with a small sub box for a little bass
          !!!My Rice Krispies told me to do it!!!

Comment

Speakers

One thing that is definatley wrong is the impedance of the speakers. Using 4ohm instead of 2 ohm will seriously limit the power taken, and hence the sound produced at any given setting.

Comment

Working...
            X