Urgent help elctrical, throttle cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent help elctrical, throttle cable

hello, I am new just had to re-register to post. Here is my problem hope someone can help.
    There are 3 what look like throttle cables under the hood of my 1994 hilux surf ssr. one runs to the accellerator, 1 runs to the cruise control actuator and the other behind the engine somewhere. The one that runs to the cruise control actuator gets very hot and melted the plastic around it, the one that runs behind the engine is arcing with electrical current. Has ruined the cable that runs behind the engine( where does this cable go and how do I replace it) the electricity arcing from it has cut the cable almost all the way through. Ran my 2 700 CCA batteries down, and I do not know how or where electricity could do this with a cable. Does anyone know how it is doing this and how to fix it.? plus replace the cable. Also I have checked my grounds and see no problem could it be a loose ground in the stereo or the amp, have not checked the stereo but have checked the amp, it is grounded to the metal bold in the rear wheel well driver side with the matal bar that you use to tie things down. Just started this issue recently and has gotten bad. cannot drive it till I fix this problem and have to buy a new cable from a spares dealer. I am in Hamilton NZ

I guess it should be noted also that I installed my own radio. Could something wired wrong in the radio...even though it works alright. cause this? As well as my rear window has not gone down for some time. I replaced the motor, the relay box and the front switch and the key switch. Still wont go down, all replacements were new. If I reverse the wires on the motor I can get the window to go down. Could it just be the wire from the relay box to the motor?
    How could I..if it would be easier wire up the connection so I can manually reverse the motor polarity when necessary to open? Thanks all. I really need help. The first problem though is paramount as my BELOVED Surf is DEAD!
    Last edited by alekseyev; 1 July 2007, 09:29.
    Oh Why? Why always Me?

check to make sure you have a good quality earth connection from the battery to the engine, it could be trying to earth through the throtle cable.

Comment

Will try tomorrow AM right after I get a new throttle cable. ALso as per before any ideas will be very helpful, this forum is so awesome. N E One know how to replace the cable and what it is for?(it runs behind the engine
      Oh Why? Why always Me?

Comment

Photos would help!
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

OK will post photos in the AM before I go to find and buy a cable.
          Oh Why? Why always Me?

Comment

Cable at rear is the Auto Transmission Kick down cable.

Look here for procedure to adjust.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v...light=kickdown

Nev

Comment

Kick Down cable...unfortunately this cable cannot be adjusted, it must be replaced. I now know how to replace it, not a small job by any stretch of the imagination. Will probably have to take to a mechanic. Any ideas on the ground problem, have checked all my grounds, all I found was that the wire from the radio harness(the ground) was not connected, ...but the radio had a seperate ground connected. Have checked the other grounds in the engine bay, they seem good...sprayed them with CRC 556 to see if it helps, of course I will not know until I have installed a new cable. Also in the PIC
              The lack of the rubber sleeve on the end of the cable...is that a possible reason for the problem. And N E One know why the other cable which runs to the cruise control actuator, why it would get hot and why do I have a crusie control actuator and no Cruise control?
              Thanks Everyone for the help, I am very appreciative.
              Last edited by alekseyev; 2 July 2007, 08:06. Reason: Update
              Oh Why? Why always Me?

Comment

Rubber boot is no problem. You have either a loose or a missing ground strap somewhere. The only reason it can be arcing is due to current passing through that cable, and finding the quickest point to ground out the side of it to the block. The cable was obviously chafed, but there shouldn't be any current of consequence on a mechanically operated cable mech. Recheck your autobox ground straps.

Edit: Btw, forget the piddley little grounds on ancillary equipment. It's the big ground straps you want to be checking.
                Last edited by MattF; 3 July 2007, 13:35.

Comment

Thanks for that Matt. Are there any grounds other than those in the engine bay, I have checked the two on the left, (when standing in front of the vehicle) and the looks like one on the right. Have I missed any and are there any others. The grounds look good, but cannot remove the two that run down near the underside of the vehicle. Sprayed them with copious amounts of CRC. ALso got the cable fron a wrecked 3.0 TD Hilux, a $$$$$$ chore to remove, and worse I figure to replace.
                  am I right to assume that if I have a cruise control actuator, and a custon Nardi steering wheel. That the old steering wheel would have had the crusie control functions on it and if that be the case can I unplug the actuator? ANd could that have contributed to the problem in the first place.?
                  Oh Why? Why always Me?

Comment

Originally posted by alekseyev
                    Thanks for that Matt. Are there any grounds other than those in the engine bay, I have checked the two on the left, (when standing in front of the vehicle) and the looks like one on the right. Have I missed any and are there any others. The grounds look good, but cannot remove the two that run down near the underside of the vehicle. Sprayed them with copious amounts of CRC. ALso got the cable fron a wrecked 3.0 TD Hilux, a $$$$$$ chore to remove, and worse I figure to replace.
                    am I right to assume that if I have a cruise control actuator, and a custon Nardi steering wheel. That the old steering wheel would have had the crusie control functions on it and if that be the case can I unplug the actuator? ANd could that have contributed to the problem in the first place.?
                    The main engine ground is quite low down on the engine & i think it runs directly back to the battery, one other method to solve this might be to run a separate ground from higher up the engine (for example inlet manifold bolt. to the battery negative terminal.

I think cruise control was only fitted to the SSR-G model certainly my SSR-X's didn't have it on, if it is an aftermarket system you should be able to junk it no problem, there might be a Vacuum pipe to block off though.

Any chance of a pic of the actuator?
                    Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

As far as I know, there are a few ground straps knocking about. Exactly where, I couldn't say, but I believe there are a couple underneath on the transmission/auto box, the visible ones in the engine bay, and probably the odd one or two somewhere else.

Edit: Have a look here. There are a few diagnosis guides on different areas of the vehicle. There may be something to help in your search.

http://forums.bauchan.org/fusion/downloads.php
                      Last edited by MattF; 3 July 2007, 13:43.

Comment

There are two main earth straps at the front lower block, one under the alternator and one under the power steering pump, a small one goes to the back of the cylinder head (along with a clamp for a cable) not sure about the trans tho, if your in doubt connect a real heavy cable from the battery neg to a suitable bolt on the block and see if that works, the two front ones are likly to get well plastered with $hite and oil etc, think you can buy braded earth strap,
                        http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/
                        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

I will post a picture of the Cruise Control Actuator tomorrow. I have had the vehicle to the mechanic and he has added 2 new ground straps as suggested. AS well he has replaced the kick down cable. And on another not after having replaced the relay box, the rear and front switches and the motor for my rear window, after the ground straps were installed the rear window began working again. Any Ideas Why? But it is fantastic after no rear window for over a month. Thanks you all are so awesome.
                          again I will post the cruise control photo tomorrow.
                          Oh Why? Why always Me?

Comment

Here is the crusie control actuator

Comment

Working...
                            X