Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stereo Head Unit surround

evening all

I have just fitted a new head unit to replace my original jap toyota unit (70fm to 82fm and getting bored with Radio2!)

Radio in, wireed, lovely jubbly, but there is no room for the head unit surround, so it looks a little bit unfinished. Not a major problem, but it does annoy me not seeing it finished.

has anyone found a surround that fits? The Alpine unit that has gone in is standard sizes, so I was hoping someone would have found a solution.

Any help much appreciated.

Rob

The general method that seems to be used is making the hole in the console a tad larger.

Comment

MattF "The general method that seems to be used is making the hole in the console a tad larger."

This is what i did in order to fit both the stereo & CB. Just a case of cutting the surround down enough. If you take care its looks okay.

Which Wychwood would you choose?

Comment

My 3rd gen had a jap double din unit until i put a single din JVC in then i put a CD cubby box in to fill the hole. No cutting required
        I'll post a pic tommorrow.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
          My 3rd gen had a jap double din unit until i put a single din JVC in then i put a CD cubby box in to fill the hole. No cutting required
          I'll post a pic tommorrow.

i had the same problems with a celica and a mr2 , the little surround thing just wont clip on, must be a toyota thing.

Comment

it seems to me that the outside of the surround needs to be about 3mm rebated from the back all the way round....Might have a crack at it with the router table tomorrow..Bit messy potentially.

Thx for the replys. I'll have a look at resizing the aperture (trying desperately and childishly not to say hole) tomorrow and see if its a doable..

Didnt fit the lectrics myself. Hats off to Simon at Enhance in Maidstone, top lad, proper job on my stereo, Parrot telephone kit and tow bar electrics, good for a brew and a chat as well, proper job. Highly recommended.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by hobgoblin
              MattF "The general method that seems to be used is making the hole in the console a tad larger."

This is what i did in order to fit both the stereo & CB. Just a case of cutting the surround down enough. If you take care its looks okay.

Just looking at this now, I;d have to shift my stereo forward to get it to look like this hob. Mine seems set back as well. Did you bring in forward slightly?

Comment

Originally posted by biglouieuk
                Just looking at this now, I;d have to shift my stereo forward to get it to look like this hob. Mine seems set back as well. Did you bring in forward slightly?
                Yip. The dash mounting bracket is actually sitting on the surround. Took the leading edge off the trim to get it in but I think i looks better than the stereo sitting back within the dash. Just make sure that you only trim the dash enough to fit the stereo.
                When it came to the CB, there was a hell of a lot to take off.
                Which Wychwood would you choose?

Comment

Same thing with mine a dap of super glue in each corner and stick in place.it has never come off in over two years and saves cutting anything to make it fit
                  I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

I pulled the whole carrier forward, where you got the four screws on the stereo carrier that screw into the dash, i put a nut on each of these, between the carrier and the dash, to bring the whole carrier forward a bit.
                    =========
                    =SOLD UP!=
                    =========

Comment

I've got the old toyota unit. A radio casette, and then a CD player underneath. Anyone done something with this before? Can only get a handful of radio stations, and just worried about how much of a gap will be there if I (by I i mean someone who I pay to do it) take both units out and replace with one.

Comment

Originally posted by Weseastham
                        I've got the old toyota unit. A radio casette, and then a CD player underneath. Anyone done something with this before? Can only get a handful of radio stations, and just worried about how much of a gap will be there if I (by I i mean someone who I pay to do it) take both units out and replace with one.
                        You can fit in a din blanking plate or an extra din size pocket (£10 - £15 from halfords or your local motor factors). DIN is the standard size for radio's the original units were double DIN (the same width, but twice the height). Or buy a double DIN unit to replace it with, but they tend to be more expensive.
                        =========
                        =SOLD UP!=
                        =========

Comment

I can do it with you this weekend if you like, Buy a new STEREO & ISO adaptor & i'll fit it
                          (\__/)
                          (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                            I can do it with you this weekend if you like, Buy a new STEREO & ISO adaptor & i'll fit it
                            Working all this, and next weekend, but the weekend after if you can make it, I've got nothing on. Can I pick up an ISO adapter from an audio shop?

Comment

Working all this, and next weekend, but the weekend after if you can make it, I've got nothing on. Can I pick up an ISO adapter from an audio shop?
                              Yes tell them its for a TOYOTA i'm off next week so if you are not in work give me a shout.
                              (\__/)
                              (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                              X