rear window pain in the a$$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear window pain in the a$$

I have read a few other threads that are similar to my problem but fairly old so didn't reply to them. Is same from key or button operation.

My window goes down - no problems.
    It only goes up when it feels like it.
    I've pulled the control box from behind the nearside panelling and discovered:
    - when trying to go down, there are two clicks - it is like one relay operates and causes second to operate.
    -trying to go up, only one click
    - if I tap the PCB (or the box when it is still boxed) - window goes up.

I tried to narrow down the possibilities by swapping all six relays (3 on left to right, 3 on right to left) and I have exactly the same problem.

I am technical, but cannot find a wiring diagram for this control board ANYWHERE.

Here in NZ, the replacement costs for Surfs are ridiculous (approx 1500 pounds for a radiator). One of these control boxes is 150 pounds - with no guarantee it will work.

Where can I find a wiring diagram for the PCB - I would be able to trace the problem if I knew where to trace.

Help a very stressed owner. Thanks.

have you tried examining the board closely - you may find it's just a dry joint on the board - poss' near the relay mounts??
    just an idea!
    Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

If it works when you tap the board/box it is undoubtedly a dry joint somewhere on the board or a dodgy connection to the board (loose wire in connector?). You could try re-soldering all the board which wouldn't take that long, but beware that some dry joints need the old solder removed before they'll make a good joint. Most dry joints on circuit boards can be seen, but often only after you have found them by other means! A magnifying glass helps, look for a v thin dark ring in the solder around the wire .

Gordon
      2nd gen Ltd

Comment

The other favourite for intermittent operation is a broken wire in the loom leading into the door. Grab the cable bundle underneath the car and wiggle it whilst operating the key- if this moves the window at all then this might be your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by hkpstefan
          I have read a few other threads that are similar to my problem but fairly old so didn't reply to them. Is same from key or button operation.

My window goes down - no problems.
          It only goes up when it feels like it.
          I've pulled the control box from behind the nearside panelling and discovered:
          - when trying to go down, there are two clicks - it is like one relay operates and causes second to operate.
          -trying to go up, only one click
          - if I tap the PCB (or the box when it is still boxed) - window goes up.

I tried to narrow down the possibilities by swapping all six relays (3 on left to right, 3 on right to left) and I have exactly the same problem.

I am technical, but cannot find a wiring diagram for this control board ANYWHERE.

Here in NZ, the replacement costs for Surfs are ridiculous (approx 1500 pounds for a radiator). One of these control boxes is 150 pounds - with no guarantee it will work.

Where can I find a wiring diagram for the PCB - I would be able to trace the problem if I knew where to trace.

Help a very stressed owner. Thanks.

Try here;
          http://www.afm15.dial.pipex.com/surf..._relay_fix.pdf

and here;
          http://www.afm15.dial.pipex.com/surf...ar_window1.jpg
          Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

take covers off relays and check making contact as had a few that were clicking but not making contact

Comment

Working...
            X