Speedo & O/D Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo & O/D Light

Recently my speedometer fails to work for a few mins or often the whole journey. Then the next trip it is fine. More recently I have noticed the the O/D light flashing when the the switch to turn it off has not been pressed. Seems like an electreical fault. Any advice !

Stephen
    Stephen

1992 SSR-X Grey 2.4 TD Automatic

loose wiring harness mate
    BRING ON THE MUD!!!!!

Comment

I would take out the instrument panel and check the multiway plugs on the edge of the circuit board. These can sometimes become loose or the copper edge connectors can get dirty and cause a bad connection. However the O/D light and the speedo come from different multiway plugs I think.

Cheers

Comment

Guys,
        Is there an easy way to remove the instrument panel. I did a search on the forum and came across a pictorial account of removing the instrument. It looked difficult and a 2 person job !

Stephen
        Stephen

1992 SSR-X Grey 2.4 TD Automatic

Comment

Nah, remove the trim from around dash, then unscrew the clocks and pull it foward enough to unplug stuff. You may need little hands, or get some plugs from underneath. If the steering wheel comes off easay, it'll make life easier.

The speedo is cable driven I think, ours is, have a look by the T/case, it may be loose, or if it has the cable gearbox MPH conversion, the little gearbox may be knackered or loose. And check where it goes into the back of the speedo, can reatch it from underneath on a pickup, not sure about the Surf.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
            Nah, remove the trim from around dash, then unscrew the clocks and pull it foward enough to unplug stuff. You may need little hands, or get some plugs from underneath. If the steering wheel comes off easay, it'll make life easier.

The speedo is cable driven I think, ours is, have a look by the T/case, it may be loose, or if it has the cable gearbox MPH conversion, the little gearbox may be knackered or loose. And check where it goes into the back of the speedo, can reatch it from underneath on a pickup, not sure about the Surf.
            The overdrive light will flash when the speedo isnt working even though the overdrive will still work correctly.It must have a sensor conected to the speedo somewhere.
            I had the same problem when the speedo cable came unpluged reconnected speedo and all was well.
            The speedo is difficult to get the speedo on, i removed the aie vent and managed to get at it that way.
            Hope this helps.

Comment

The flashing O/D light is indicating that the trans ECU has logged a fault code. When driving the, Trans ECU uses two speed sensors to measure the vehicle speed. One comes direct from the back of the transmission, the other is taken off of the instrument cluster, ie the speedo. In normal operation the Trans ECU uses the sensor on the Trans but if this should fail it reverts to the speedo. However, it monitors both constantly, so if the speedo fails it will log it as a fault. That said, on mine the engine ecu logs the speedo fault and the trans ecu doesn't (mines a '92 2nd gen, 3.0v6 auto with electronic speedo). If the O/D light is flashing it would pay to retrieve the fault code from the Trans ECU just to make sure that it is the speedo fault its logging.

Comment

Speedo Removal

Use the URL below for info on removing the instrument cluster

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/dash.htm
                Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Take the clocks out and see if its cable or electric as this sounds like an electronic speedo converter chip that's dying. Once the speedo fails for a few seconds the gearbox controller will go into safe mode and flash the O/D light at you. If its the chip get a new one as they can't be repaired, cost should be approx £30-40.

Comment

I'd hope it was sorted by now, this is a thread from February!
                    Maurice
                    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

speedo converter chip

Originally posted by Honda2ner
                      Take the clocks out and see if its cable or electric as this sounds like an electronic speedo converter chip that's dying. Once the speedo fails for a few seconds the gearbox controller will go into safe mode and flash the O/D light at you. If its the chip get a new one as they can't be repaired, cost should be approx £30-40.

hello, just found this thread after posting on forum sounds like you're the man, can you tell me more about this thing please and where to get it. cheers!

Comment

its fixed.
                        Last edited by boatman; 8 February 2006, 16:09.

Comment

Originally posted by skennedy2701
                          Recently my speedometer fails to work for a few mins or often the whole journey. Then the next trip it is fine. More recently I have noticed the the O/D light flashing when the the switch to turn it off has not been pressed. Seems like an electreical fault. Any advice !

Stephen
                          if its the same prob i had , mine was a little black electronic box that was faulty,its got 5 wires coming out of it,its about 3" long.costs about £60.car won,t engage O/D because its the speedo that tells it to work.i,ll send a pic of said box if u want.it only took about 1hr to fix at the dealers.

Comment

Re- Boatman and Faulty Speedo

Hi Boatman,

Wonder if you could help a fellow surfer? I have the same problem as you, as my speedo has stopped working. I would like to know if you could tell me what the fault was so i can tackle the problem myself?

Vehicle - SSR v 3.0Lt 1993

Thanks
                            Sparks

Comment

Working...
                            X