Auxiliary Temperature Gauge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auxiliary Temperature Gauge?

...So I've been reading on the Aussie forums and it seems the first thing they recommend is to get a decent aux temperature gauge.

obviously as they live in a hotter environment this is more important than in the UK, but being as I'm intending taking mine to live in the sun permanently I think it's probably a good idea for me also? (along with any other easyish cooling mods, ATF cooler, bonnet scoop etc.)

have any of you guys fitted one, or able to recommend a good one?
    Biggus Truckus..

I've got one on mine. I got a local rad builder to make up a copper hose adapter for the sender unit and it works OK, although the hose has to be squashed down as it's a bit small in diameter. Going to look at one of these soon to replace the copper tube adapter.. http://www.revotec.com/aluminiumcomp...components.htm

or possibly one of these.. http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/produc...code=PCTCA0025

Fitting was quite straight-forward, although I had problems finding a take off wire to run the light on the guage. Ended up putting in a separate switch for it. Running the wire to the guage from the sender was simple, as was the earth wire and eventually found an ignition controlled take off point for the power (can't remember exactly where but I think it was on the fusebox in the drivers footwell.

It's much better at indicating temperature, as it's still showing about 60C when the standard guage is at its normal place and will then indicate exactly what is happening, whilst the standard one doesn't move. Go for it.
    Mike G

Comment

I've got fit one too. Gave the truck a good hoofing today up the steep hills and my auxillary fan came on but the temp gauge needle stayed in the same position!!

Not good.

Comment

wicked..

nice links, thanks liking those revotec gauges too..

may as well get a boost gauge in there too while im at it
        Biggus Truckus..

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          I've got fit one too. Gave the truck a good hoofing today up the steep hills and my auxillary fan came on but the temp gauge needle stayed in the same position!!

Not good.
          Luckily, we've the spare mounting spot on the 'stat housing, so it's more straight forward than on the 3.0L. I ended up just getting one of those TIM gauges from Motosave.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER

Not good.
            Not had my auxiliary fan kick in once yet since converting to the electric fan. Not even been able to get the temp above 90 degrees yet, either. About 102 degrees when the auxiliary kicks in, ain't it.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
              Not had my auxiliary fan kick in once yet since converting to the electric fan. Not even been able to get the temp above 90 degrees yet, either. About 102 degrees when the auxiliary kicks in, ain't it.

Yeah, around 100 degrees.

Been a naughty boy in the truck today, 'cos of the extra power from tweeking the fuel pump. straight through exhaust and cold damp intake air.

Comment

Cos I want to get back into making 'stuff', and a mate reckons there is a market for decent priced digital boost gauges, I thought I might knock up a set of gauges for temp / boost / batt volts / whatever.

Any interest from members?

The display could be LED bargraph or digital readout in LED or LCD.

(Dont worry Vince, not forgot the scanner. Off to Maplin tomorrow cos I;m in Liverpool at the mo.)
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                  (Dont worry Vince, not forgot the scanner. Off to Maplin tomorrow cos I;m in Liverpool at the mo.)
                  What bits do you need?

Comment

What bits do you need?
                    only the passive bits and a handful of superbright leds.

I like a wander round maplin anyway. never know what i might come out with

Comment

only the passive bits and a handful of superbright leds.

I like a wander round maplin anyway. never know what i might come out with
                      Child in a sweetshop. Let us know if there's any bits you need at all. Hoarding is my forte.

Comment

Child in a sweetshop. Let us know if there's any bits you need at all. Hoarding is my forte.
                        Most disappointed with Maplin AND the catalogue. It's nearly all PC bits and $$$$ gadgets these days. Years ago it was FULL of electronic components and I'd spend hours dreaming up stuff to build.

Now, all the elctronic components are shoved in a few pages at the back. Disappointing.

Comment

Most disappointed with Maplin AND the catalogue. It's nearly all PC bits and $$$$ gadgets these days. Years ago it was FULL of electronic components and I'd spend hours dreaming up stuff to build.

Now, all the elctronic components are shoved in a few pages at the back. Disappointing.

http://www.phenoptix.co.uk/product_p/amb-5-8000-10.htm

Comment

Amber? Nah! You want red you do! Good prices though! Cheers!

Comment

Amber? Nah! You want red you do! Good prices though! Cheers!

I wasn't showing the colour, tut!

Comment

Working...
                              X