Fuel Heater??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Heater??

I have just fitted an in-line fuel heater so that I can use Vegetable oil as well as bio-diesel. Looking for an ignition switched supply in the front fuse box I found an empty relay socket labelled "fuel heater". Anyone know what this may refer too, and when it is fitted?
    Thanks.

that'll be the fuel heater relay then...

If you have wires running to your fuel filter... then you've got a fuel heater... I seem to remember that they are an additional option for the winter pack...?

Meter out the relay socket and see what livens up, when you turn the ignition on...

Comment

Fuel Heater

My "fuel heater" relay doesn't seem to have any wiring to it! However I now know where the fuel heater itself lives (in the filter housing, mine doesn't have any wiring to it). However the Vow2 I have fitted is right in front of the filter so it should do the same thing. After a run today (about 20 miles with motorway) the heater had a surface temperature of about 70'C, the fuel filter was about 35'c. So the fuel was being warmed, but not as much as much as claimed. It would seem that the unit would work better if the fuel stayed in it for longer. However it is a trade-off of size and the unit I have is easy to find a home for. I think I will fit a cooling water/fuel heat exchanger in front of the electric heater, give my alternator an easier life. Thanks for your advice.
      As a supplement, has anyone read independant advice as to optimum fuel temperature?

Comment

Should be anything above the gelling point... thats all its there to do.. don't forget that once the engine bay is warm... that should be enough to stop the fuel gelling anyway... the heater may also improve its performance through the injectors... but doesn't need to be that warm...

Comment

fuel heater

Thanks, I just wonder why the stat on the vow2 is set as high as 90'C! I have a Maplin Thermostat which I think I will put in series with the Vow2 stat so as to turn it off at say 40'C uderbonnet temperature.

Comment

Preferred temp for SVO/WVO is around 80-90 degrees. It's around that temperature that the viscosity and spray pattern from the injectors become roughly the same as for normal derv.

Comment

Fuel heater

Thanks Mat, seems I need more heat! A water operated pre heater should help.

Comment

Can you let me know how you get on with it? I may get one of those Vow ones. Does it not connetc to the coolant gose as well?
                Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by metalmagpie
                  Thanks Mat, seems I need more heat! A water operated pre heater should help.
                  The electric side of it is used as an initial heater system. Once the coolants upto temp, the electric part shouldn't be kicking in anyhow.

Comment

Thanks Matt. Looking at the unit I thought that was the case but it's not clear on he guys site.

Simon

Comment

fuel heater

I ask this, knowing that I probably know what answer I'll receive! Having fitted a vow2 and run for a while in SVO, I found that the fuel temperature rose only to about 30'c after a longish run. I started changing back to diesel to clear the tank before going back to bio diesel. Today I found a largish drip of diesel coming off the nearside wishbone, ie just under the injector pump. From above the pump seems dry, from below I cannot see it at all. Has anyone any ideas, preferably not starting with "first remove the cam belt and injector pump".
                      Perhaps a distinct downside of SVO, or just coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by metalmagpie
                        I ask this, knowing that I probably know what answer I'll receive! Having fitted a vow2 and run for a while in SVO, I found that the fuel temperature rose only to about 30'c after a longish run. I started changing back to diesel to clear the tank before going back to bio diesel. Today I found a largish drip of diesel coming off the nearside wishbone, ie just under the injector pump. From above the pump seems dry, from below I cannot see it at all. Has anyone any ideas, preferably not starting with "first remove the cam belt and injector pump".
                        Perhaps a distinct downside of SVO, or just coincidence?
                        i think some people have had to replace the seals on the pump after using svo,i'm not sure where they got the seal kits from tho.Lucky enough both surfs i've had have been ok and not leaked.
                        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Milner's do a seal kit for a few quid. The only seal missing from the kit is a little o-ring, for which you can just pick up a standard mixed plumbing bag of o-rings for that one. It's usually the two seals on the top cover that go. The oil just makes them worse. Switching back to straight diesel usually stops it leaking until you get it sorted.

Comment

Working...
                          X