Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Fog Light Wiring connecting and sourcing power. Advice reqd

Happy New Year

Well my 91 2.4 Turbo Surf has been so good and reliable that I haven't had any probs since sorting my suspension woes (thanks again).

However, when I installed my towbar and had to move the fog light along a bit, I was alarmed at how poorly wired it was (you can spot speaker wire a mile off). I knew that it didn't work at that point since the switch installed on the dash was obviously duff. Anyway, it was a rush to finish the towbar and electrics, so the fog light wiring was left alone. However its now MOT time, and I need to get it sorted so I pulled the lower dash panel (you know when you fancy a laugh cos you know what you'll find) and I looked at the wiring. Well the switch was easy enough to swap, but the wiring (if you can call it that) involved power being taken off the combi-switch multi-plug, by having wires just pushed in down the connector.
    This situation could not remain, so I started looking for a suitable supply to run it from. I note the comments from others about the fog light only being on when lights are on (best practice if not an MOT rule), so I searched for something that was live and beefy enough when the lights are on.
    Well I traced the wiring to the big headlight relay in the engine bay, but rejected that on it being a can o worms. However, from a nice picture of the lighting circuit posted, I see that there is a 'tail light relay' accompanied by a 10 Amp fuse, in the drivers footwell. I reckon this would be a good source to tap off for the light and switch, but I'd be interested to hear of other views/recommendations on this if possible, if only to avoid an upside down session with my head in the pedals.

Any ideas??

Cheers... Rob.
    Red to Red, Black to Black, Blue to bits!

If you want to feed it off the tail lights, then find the wire that feeds the off side tail light and joint into it. Take that cable to the fog light switch.

Take the other side of the switch to a 30A relay coil terminal (no.85) and the other side to earth (no.86).

Run a permanant or ignition controlled live to one side of the relay contact terminal,(no.30) via an inline fuse.

The other side run to your fog light (no.87).

The numbers relate to the pins on the base of the relay.

That way the fog light will only come on when the tail lights are on. DONT forget it has to be an illuminted switch for MOT.

Hope this helps

Dan
    I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Working...
    X