Unknown wires and connectors by the handbrake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown wires and connectors by the handbrake

I was changing the stereo in my 3rd gen Surf the other day and, as most of you who have tried the same will know, I had to remove the covers from the handbrake and the gear levers to allow me to remove the centre consol dash.

This all worked fine and the stereo works a treat (built in DVD player too, lovely). However, when I was putting everything back together I noticed that there are a number of extra wires and white connectors under the handbrake cover. They are on the same lot of wires as the ECT button. I also notice that there are a total of 4 cut outs for buttons around the handbrake but my model only has the ECT button. I pressume they are for other optional fittings on other models.

Does anyone know what these extra wires are for, where they run to/from and am I able to connect anything to them?

Many thanks for now.

My Surf is the same as yours. The higher spec Surf which is the SSRG has adjustable shocks & the button would be located in the spare space by the cubby box. You will probably find that the wiring loom is the same on all models & that the wires are just not conected when the loom is fitted to an SSRX spec Surf.

Comment

Of the 4 switch locations, mine had 3 in use, ECT, Hard/Soft suspension and power rear mirror, presumably the looms you found are related to these options. No idea what (if anything) is supposeed to be in the 4th location.
      Maurice
      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

If that is the case...

you woud pressume then that you could "highjack" these redundant wires to allow other items to be wired in to the rear (in place of the power rear view mirror).

Does that make sense?

Are these shown on the wiring diagrams?

...A.

Comment

mine are ECT, Front lights, Back lights & Aerial
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

just to be different mine are left & right front heated seats (lovely in the cold weather), ECT & Hard/soft suspension.
            Power mirror built into the spoiler, the switch is on the lower dash panel, passenger side

ta

hawaii
            I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

Comment

Working...
            X