Speedo not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo not working

I've only owned the Surf for about 3 weeks, and the speedo wasn't working when I got it, I've left it well alone for now to see of it ever at least flickers into life , but nothing. I was told by the previous owner (Phorbiuz -Forum Member ) that it was working but stopped all of a sudden about 6 months ago, it has been converted to mph , not by sticking a new card over the clocks, but the other way ( i presume is electronic) which means the odometer in the centre has been adjusted from km to miles and when working registers in miles not km. My question is where can I find the sensor and / km-miles device, and is the whole speedo electronic, ie no mechanically driven cable, or is it just a case of an old style cable that has snapped. I am asking this in advance before I take the clocks out or start unbolting sensors from the gearbox, axles etc , any advice on the correct proceedure or troubleshooting tips would be appreciated, for example , can I connect a 1.5v battery to 2 wires leading to the speedo to see if the needle moves, if so what colour are the wire and where are they, or can I connect a multimeter from the speedo sensor box thingy to see if its giving anything out. I have done a quick search of previous threads , seems it's a common fault but no clear answers or description of how to fix it or at least find out which part is faulty.
    Thanks in advance

as per signature it's a 93 reg , 94 model surf 30.TD SSR-X
    Last edited by RobOnBlackbird; 31 December 2006, 14:57.
    Former owner of 94 Surf SSR-X 3.0 TD

the speedo sender in on the transfer case, right at the back at about 2 o'clock (looking from the back) Check the plug on this before you buy a new sender.

If you pull the dash out, you should see which wires are the speedo ones as they will have the electronic gismo spliced into them. I'd try the plug first, it may have got knocked while offroad, then the wires behind the dash, as they have been touched when the speedo converter was fitted. Then you can try a new sender in the transfer case or the speedo itself.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Hi Tony, I've located the sensor on the transfer case , all looks well, I've started to dismantle the fascia around the clocks, unscrewed any screws I can see , unclipped it all the way round until the bottom left hand corner near the cup holder and the air vent , pulled and tugged but it wont budge , gave up and tried it re-assemble but cant get the fascia to go back now near the bottom left vent / cup holder area, any suggestions

Comment

Originally posted by RobOnBlackbird
        Hi Tony, I've located the sensor on the transfer case , all looks well, I've started to dismantle the fascia around the clocks, unscrewed any screws I can see , unclipped it all the way round until the bottom left hand corner near the cup holder and the air vent , pulled and tugged but it wont budge , gave up and tried it re-assemble but cant get the fascia to go back now near the bottom left vent / cup holder area, any suggestions

Make suer the air vents are fitting in the ducting properly.

Comment

got the dash back together, who needs a speedo anyway

Comment

Originally posted by RobOnBlackbird
            got the dash back together, who needs a speedo anyway
            OK, but if you feel the need in the future, you need to pull the cover off the heater controls to get to a screw thats part of the dash surround, under the cup holder.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I'll have another go at it tomorrow, looking for the mystery screw first

Comment

odometer

My speedo works, but the Odo never has,

is it driven seperately from speedo,

Am i likely to find a connector out on the back somewhere

( it says it was corrected to MPH on import, and was apperntly working at some pont in the past)

Comment

speedo

hi, how did you get on in the end the same thing has happened to me, i keep looking at posts here and elsewhere where people had the same problem but nobody seems to come back with how they solved it. I've seen Speedo Converters for a reasonable price at Japanese auto spares, would replacing this do it, is it simplish to do. Really interested in how you got on.

cheers

Comment

its ok

its ok Rob, i've just realised who you are, i know how you got on. Right, japanese auto spares do a speedo converter/delimiter, if its not the connections will it possibly just require a new one of these, if not converter delimiter, has anybody any idea where to get a new(ish) speedo. Thanks

Comment

Glad you worked it out Steve , as this may be my last post, I did consider getting hold of a speedo from a uk spec 4 runner, same vehicle just not classed as import, in the hope the black box thing would not be needed , did see one on ebay , but didn't get round to bidding, see you on Thursday.

Comment

Working...
                      X