Heater plugs/ Timer/ Alternator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heater plugs/ Timer/ Alternator?

Right i will try to keep this short but here is the problem. Normally ign on heater light on approx 2secs light off 2secs solenoid clicks turn key start. Now this has happened once before but sorted itself out? ign on no lights on dash apart from handbrake, heater light on 1 millisecond wait nothing seems to happen i can turn over engine but it is obvious heater plugs not working though it does start eventually. To be on the safe side i trickle charged the battery overnight ready for work in the morning just in case it needed extra winding over and turned the key and dash lights back on and heater plugs working? Get to work turn off ... same problem as before no dash lights ..heater plugs not working... but it does start? (1st gen 2.4/2l-t.. any ideas ?

Originally posted by fenman666
    Right i will try to keep this short but here is the problem. Normally ign on heater light on approx 2secs light off 2secs solenoid clicks turn key start. Now this has happened once before but sorted itself out? ign on no lights on dash apart from handbrake, heater light on 1 millisecond wait nothing seems to happen i can turn over engine but it is obvious heater plugs not working though it does start eventually. To be on the safe side i trickle charged the battery overnight ready for work in the morning just in case it needed extra winding over and turned the key and dash lights back on and heater plugs working? Get to work turn off ... same problem as before no dash lights ..heater plugs not working... but it does start? (1st gen 2.4/2l-t.. any ideas ?
    Hi M8 long time no see.Anyway this has happend to me (not the dash lights they always seemed to come on,but the glowplug problem.) It turned out to be a loose wire at the end of the glowplug rail (bulkhead end) I didnt discover this untill I bought both glowplug relays,so if you need a set of working (not new) glow plug relays I'm your man.
    If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

Check all the earth straps to motor and batterys you can find make sure they are not corroded or loose, and and any earth connections under the dash.

For most of the dash light not to be working it must be a common wire to all that is the problem.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

faulty alternator ?

Thanks for that!...... anyway after removing half the dash and checking every earth i could find i decided to take the plug off the top of the alternator and hey presto everything lights up and is back to normal ....plug it back in and same problem? So my guess is faulty alternator ? Does this sound logical to you? Thanks for the replies and yes Sumo i am still here...lol

Comment

Sorted turns out it was a short in the alternator !!!

Comment

Further addition to my 1st gen electrical adventures..... while sorting out the charging problem i thought i would treat the old girl to a set of new heater plugs .......... turn the key click click click click...... buzzbar assembled wrong i hear you say!!! NO..... Do not fit 12v heater plugs when the old ones are 6v oh well you live and learn

Comment

Working...
            X