Horn Failure / Steering Wheel Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horn Failure / Steering Wheel Earth

While trying to "make another road user aware of my presence" last week, the horn on my 2nd Gen packed-in mid-parp.

I've got 12V on the wire that runs into the steering wheel and, when the steering wheel pad is pressed, 12V on the wheel metal itself, but no connection between wheel and earth (no continuity).

Does anyone have an idea where should I be looking for the earth connection, or does this mean that my steering has become completely detached from the chassis?

At the back of the steering wheel, there's a couple of screws to release the center pad, behind there you'll find a short wire with a spade connector on the end, this may have fallen off the main part of the steering wheel and the earth was disconnected.

Comment

I have one connector in view when I take the centre-pad off, and that has 12V, as does the slip-ring on the back, however nothing is earthed so there's nowhere for the 12V to go.

Bit stumped by this one.

Comment

Do your hazzard lights work, as the horn is on the same fuse.

Comment

Hazards work, lights work, pulled the relay out of the driver's footwell and that seems clean and unmolested. Just don't know where this 12V is supposed to go.

I presumed it earthed through the steering wheel to somewhere, but the steering doesn't seem to be earthed.

I suppose I could put one of those rally-style spring-cables that wrap round and round the steering column and earth it that way, but there must be an easier way?

Comment

The horn is negative switched, meaning it has 12V continuesly, and the switch is on the neg side.

You should have 12V on the wire to the horn pad and continuity to negative on the steering wheel body, touch the wire on the steering wheel nut and the horn should work.

If it dosn't work then the column neg is broken, or the horn its self is busted, look for a broken wire on the rubber donut by the steering box, it should have a wire bridging the rubber bit to keep the connection.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Tony, again we are in awe of your knowledge.

No wire so no continuity. The horn has been pretty feeble since I bought the Surf, so I assume it was working on a wing and a prayer. Shortly it should be working through the miracle of copper wire again.

Comment

Ah well, it was a good idea.

Even with continuity from wheel to body (and the UJ in the steering column seems to be a bit iffy as well), I have <12V on the terminal on the steering wheel and no noise, so I guess the horn's kaput

New horn then. Probably one I can mount in the engine bay rather than behind the grille.

Comment

Just had same thing happen to my "horn" lost one a while ago, secound one packed up yesterday, of to halfords two, horns £18, loosen the grill at top and you will find you have enough room to do the job with 12mm spanner, I didnt use relay supplied as these were just a direct replacement.

They sound ok to.

Regards..................Webbo .

Comment

Working...
                  X