tailgate window fault again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tailgate window fault again

sorry everyone but its another rear window fault,i have searched the forums and cannot find anyone with this fault which is the window goes up and down on the key but does neither on the switch i have tried a working switch from another surf but it made no diffrence any ideas ?

You haven't pressed the window lock button by mistake have you?

Comment

no i tried that all the door windows work on the switches its just the tailgate switch thats dead

Comment

Originally posted by davidy2980
        no i tried that all the door windows work on the switches its just the tailgate switch thats dead
        Have you checked the wires that go from the body to the tailgate in the rubber sleeve to see if any of them are broken
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

i have seen that mentioned a couple of times so i will be checking that tommorow,
          should there be any power at the switch as i am not getting any with a cicuit tester

Comment

Originally posted by davidy2980
            i have seen that mentioned a couple of times so i will be checking that tommorow,
            should there be any power at the switch as i am not getting any with a cicuit tester
            not sure with vehicle electrics,Also i think someone has said b4 that there is a relay behind the rear passenger side panel near the cubby hole.
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

There is no power at the switch, just an earth.

Can you clarify which switch works and which doesn't.

This diagram might help you. The interior switch is on the left and the backdoor key switch is on the right. You can see the internal window lock switch on the bottom left.

http://www.afm15.dial.pipex.com/surf...ar_window1.jpg

It could be the rear wiper seating but I'd expect neither switch to work.
              Last edited by saatman; 27 September 2006, 20:32.

Comment

the internal switch has no power at any of the five wires on the back,but the tailgate window works fine on the keyswitch

Comment

Check the earth on the switch. I've just edited my previous post.

Comment

The rear window key is a perminant live so you can open with ignition off . Check the power at relay as you should have a power on there which is live with the ignition on as well as a seperate perminant live . If you loose the live from the ignition you can still open with the key , but not the otherway round . Check fuses first and then the wires upto the relay .
                    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

can you tell me where the relay for the internal switch is

Comment

Open the tail gate and remove the internal, plastic, panel on the passangers side. It's close to the back, behind the light cluster. Near the storage compartment. You don't need to remove the whole panel. You will need to remove the plastic carpet strip that runs along the back. There is a connector on the relay box but there is also a connector lower down that connects to another part of the loom. It's worth checking that connector for corrosion.

Comment

Working...
                        X