Stereo removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stereo removal

I have had my 1996 3.0 ssrx for six months now, she drives like a dream . It does turn some heads when you are in the fast line overtaking everything. The only thing annoying me is the screen on the stereo went off it keeps coming on occasionally, there must be a loose connection somewhere I want to take the stereo to see if I can repair it. The only thing is it looks like you have to take the dash to bits to remove it. Can any help me on how to remove it I dont want to wreck the wooden trim etc. In the future I want to replace it with an MP3 player and SAT nav as I do alot of driving (its a pleasure to do when the companys paying for the fuel).
    Peachy
    3.0TD
    New Gen

Originally posted by Peachy
    I have had my 1996 3.0 ssrx for six months now, she drives like a dream . It does turn some heads when you are in the fast line overtaking everything. The only thing annoying me is the screen on the stereo went off it keeps coming on occasionally, there must be a loose connection somewhere I want to take the stereo to see if I can repair it. The only thing is it looks like you have to take the dash to bits to remove it. Can any help me on how to remove it I dont want to wreck the wooden trim etc. In the future I want to replace it with an MP3 player and SAT nav as I do alot of driving (its a pleasure to do when the companys paying for the fuel).

Look here detailed removal off the fascia with pics.
    http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

My stereo and sub are on that site also with a blanking plate on the bottom slot.

You basically start at the glove box and work your way accross until you get to the stereo. It will be bolted into a rack. I left it in because my new head unit had bolt holes in the side and this makes it harder to pinch!!!

Just take your time and it is easy..#

Phil..

Comment

Originally posted by Peachy
        Peachy,
        CALL ME - I live in Newcastle
        I've done the whole lot Head unit , amps, subs etc
        I;ll send you a private mail message
        Steve
        NO WORRIES!
        Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by rusty
          Peachy,
          CALL ME - I live in Newcastle
          I've done the whole lot Head unit , amps, subs etc
          I;ll send you a private mail message
          Steve
          Can't send you a message as you haven't got it switched on in your profile selection
          if you activate that I'll send you my mobile number
          steve
          NO WORRIES!
          Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by Phil H
            My stereo and sub are on that site also with a blanking plate on the bottom slot.

You basically start at the glove box and work your way accross until you get to the stereo. It will be bolted into a rack. I left it in because my new head unit had bolt holes in the side and this makes it harder to pinch!!!

Just take your time and it is easy..#

Phil..
            I think you'll find on a '96 (3rd Gen) the procedure is a little different to that quoted above or shown at http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm

Here's the procedure for the 3rd Gen Radio Removal.

Remove two screws from inside Armrest cubby floor at rear of centre console.
            Remove two screws from sides of front edge of centre console rear section.
            Move this rear section backwards about 1 inch.
            Lift the rear edge of the panel (wood) surrounding the gear and 4wd levers, and move rearwards about 1 inch. If you have an auto it will help to take it out of Park (using that little red button every newbie wonders about)
            Pull off slider knobs from heater controls.
            Heater control facia must now be prised off, this is tricky and will break easily so have the superglue ready.
            With this facia off, remove the two screws securing the centre dash panel (wood surround).
            The main centre dash panel can now be removed, this will pull straight off, grip at the bash and pull gently.
            The radio and/or pocket assembly is secured with two (four ?) screws, and is now easily accessible
            Last edited by Morr; 9 September 2003, 08:04.
            Maurice
            Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Cheers Maurice.....can you tell the guy who sorted the electrics in my car because he :

Removed two screws from inside Armrest cubby floor at rear of centre console.

blah, blah...

Forgot to ...Pull off slider knobs from heater controls.

blah...

Ripped off the centre dash panel (wood surround).

Pulled harshly....

And lost a few screws along the way!

The Radio is now accessible on the floor of the car!

Talk about canibal!

Comment

Originally posted by kite surf

The Radio is now accessible on the floor of the car!

Talk about canibal!

Ouch, has the canibal survived ??
                Maurice
                Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Before i bought it unfortunately!

I discovered the aftermath when fitting a Band Expander!

(Nice MD/CD Carrozerria unit in the dash)
                  Also have a GPS / LCD but no-one seems to know how to make use of it!

There is an input for a TV etc....probably cheaper to just buy a new one UK spec!

D

Comment

damon - did you know "carrozeria" is the italian word for a car breakers ?

Seriously!

Ciao Dude.
                    Nili secundum desperandum

Comment

Cheers Bud,

Not a bad description but it also means 'the body' of something!
                      Pioneer is a fairer description....

However after it was hacked out it was fit for the breakers yard!
                      Lots of cable damage...but it requires a UK DVD player to make it work anyway! - probably as cheap to buy a UK spec GPS?!

Later...hey its Poole Windfest this weekend - rather be surfing tho'..new board built and ready to surf!

Damon

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice I will give it ago this weekend do not allow children around the area of work there will be some harsh language about it makes me concentrate better.
                        Peachy
                        3.0TD
                        New Gen

Comment

Yeah,

No-one understands my need to use expletives!

It kinda concentrates my mind or something!

Stops you ripping bits off the car ....a bit like diffusing a bomb!

Either way i always wonder why there's no-one around to help when i'm working!

Damon

Comment

Working...
                          X