Rear Passenger electric windows not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Passenger electric windows not working

Hi Everyone. Just registered on this great site and forgive me if this question has been asked before, but ive trawled my way through the various threads and couldn't find anything so wondered if you guys possibly could help.
    I have just purchased a 1992 J reg 2.4 TD Auto Surf and its great. The main bug bear with me at the moment is that both rear passenger electric windows dont work. The drivers and front seat passenger windows are fine as is the rear tailgate window. I have used the window lock switch and tried the front passenger window and it isolates that so i guess thats working okay.
    Any ideas please and also any ideas where the fuse is for the windows. Cant find that particular one at all.
    Thanks for bearing with me guys

When you're parked with the engine running, can you tell a slight difference
    in engine speed when you try to lower either of the rear windows?

Comment

Rear Windows

Hi Matt

Just tried this and doesn't make any difference to the engine revs

Simon

Comment

did you check the rear windows worked when you brought it ? the fuse boxs are behind the glove box, under the bonet drivers side and drivers footwell.

Comment

Unfortunately No i didnt check they were working. I assumed that all the windows were powered by the same fuse ??
          Looking through the history of the vehicle i found an e-bay receipt for new/replacement drivers door so i'm assuming that had been replaced at some time so i guess i'll have to check all the switches are wired in okay. Are the switches easy to get to and do you have to remove the whole door card to get to them ?
          Regards

Comment

Do the rear windows work from their own door switches?

Comment

Hi Matt

No they don't. There is no clicking noise from any relays etc when the rear window switches are pressed from either the front switches or their own switches.

Comment

It may actually be worthwhile checking first as to whether the motors are
                connected, (or even if there are any motors), in the rear doors.

Comment

Ha ! Would be just my luck to take the door cards off and find no motors. Good job i looked under the bonnet before i bought it !!! Are the door cards easy enough to take off ? Will have a look tomorrow and get back to you once ive worked out how door cards are secured
                  Cheers Matt

Comment

Rear Electric Windows

Okay

I had the master switch on the drivers door apart and cleaned all contacts etc and thats fine (Actually my electric mirrors work better now) but nothing has changed re the rear passenger windows. They dont work from either the master buttons or their individual buttons and yes i have tried the window lock button and thats working fine because when its switched on its stops the front passenger window from working.
                    I have had the rear door cards off and all motors and wiring is intact and when i tried windows with the cards off and held the motor, when i tried the window 'up' i could sense a slight clicking sound so i'm sure power is getting to the wires.
                    Could it be a relay ? If so, where the hell are they ? This is starting to drive me mad. I have checked behind the glovebox and the only fuse i could find was for the air conditioning. Is that right ?
                    There is no mention of power windows for the listing of fuses by drivers feet but all are fine and the same for ones under the bonnet.
                    Can anyone shed some light on what is causing the rear windows not to work

Comment

Whilst you have access to the motor(s), pull the connector off the motor and
                      connect a meter to the connector. If you have +12v/-12V depending upon which
                      way you press the window switch, the motor is receiving power. If so, remove the
                      motor from the assembly, reconnect the plug, and see if the motor turns when it's
                      not under load. If that's fine, try manually lowering the window with the window
                      mech. It may just be that the glass has practically bonded to the rubber if the rear
                      windows haven't been used for a long time.

Comment

Windows doing thier own thing

Have you found out what is causing it yet?
                        I have a similar situation, front passenger and rear offside apssenger windows gone down never to come back up again. The only thing I can think it is is the door control relay which I'm going to explore. Can you clean this relay? I've cleaned the window switches and they're fine, theres earth continuity, and power to the motor, but no movement back up!!! Can anyone help?!!!

Comment

?????

Hi l have had several Surfs in with the same problem and l found it was the wires coming from the drivers door through the A post several wirs were cut through or bare. it seems to be a age related problem with the door opening and closeing. NOT a hard job to do your self.
                          Live Life To The Full

Comment

Dont know if this helps had the same problem on my passenger window took the switch apart and found the little plastic plunger on the spring was worn away i stretched the spring a little to help it make contact and it solved the problem till i got a new switch.

Comment

Working...
                            X