non starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howzit?

The guy bringing the lights should pull in tonight sometime. He works with my wife's NGO and was a bit jittery about bringing them out - had to double check that I "knew" you and that you weren't some sort of Al Queida low-life who just happens to drive a Surf.

"Hopefully" - he wont get the jitters and won't get pulled in by Customs at this end for looking suspicious - otherwise he may have to spend a long night with his back to the wall in a Kenyan cell!

All things being equal should pick them up tomorrow and then "fit'em'up" asap after that.

Thanks in advance and I'll take this opportunity to ask you for your address again!

Go well,
    @africa4x4cafe
    [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by bundubasher
      Howzit?

The guy bringing the lights should pull in tonight sometime. He works with my wife's NGO and was a bit jittery about bringing them out - had to double check that I "knew" you and that you weren't some sort of Al Queida low-life who just happens to drive a Surf.
      He received them okay in time then? About the closest you'd get to terrorism
      in Barnsley is lobbing a lump of coal at somebody. Either that, or menacing
      them with your ferret.

"Hopefully" - he wont get the jitters and won't get pulled in by Customs at this end for looking suspicious - otherwise he may have to spend a long night with his back to the wall in a Kenyan cell!

All things being equal should pick them up tomorrow and then "fit'em'up" asap after that.

Hope they make it intact. Padded them as much as I could in preparation for
      the courier and baggage handlers. They do tend to have a certain flair for their
      jobs, though.

Comment

Hi

Many, many thanks...

Stu rocked up today - he had no probs at the airport or customs. I opened the package and there is no damage visible and they are...BEE _ YOU _ TI _ FULL!

Only problem is that I do not know how to open them to reconnect the wiring and check the bulbs (thanks for the spare set by the way) and I do not want to break anything. Does the black cover "snap-on" and off or do you unscrew the mounting plate for access?

The only other problem is that I STILL do not have your address!

Thanks again, and there's a crate of coldies in the fridge for you if you ever make it out this way!
        @africa4x4cafe

Comment

Glad they made it okay. Just pull the plastic guards off of the front of the lamp,
          and there is a screw on the top of the lamp underneath them that you just loosen
          off to separate the glass from the housing. One of those spare bulbs is a higher
          rating than the others. I think that is the wattage rating that the spots can take upto.
          Were there enough spare crimp connectors in the box for you, BTW?

Comment

Sorry I didn't reply sooner - we are 3 hours ahead of you and I was heading for bed although the wife did complain about me bringing the lamps with!

The crimp connectors look plenty - Looks like I won't need more than 3 but thanks again for inc. them.

I worked out that pull the covers off - was just playing cautious originally as I didn't want to break anything. Now replacing the bulbs, on a standard H4 bulb (with the third pin at the top) where do you connect the red wire - right or left or does it not matter?

The loom looks totaly complete (thanks!) and I'll fit that at the weekend when I've got more time to do a neat job (there is just so much arb wiring in my engine bay at the mo. that it needs a serious sorting out). With the solenoid I guess it is a matter of trial and error?

Otherwise, it is brilliant and I do thank you most sincerely.
            Last edited by bundubasher; 19 September 2006, 10:27. Reason: Add pic
            @africa4x4cafe

Comment

Sorry I didn't reply sooner - we are 3 hours ahead of you and I was heading for bed although the wife did complain about me bringing the lamps with!

The crimp connectors look plenty - Looks like I won't need more than 3 but thanks again for inc. them.

I worked out that pull the covers off - was just playing cautious originally as I didn't want to break anything. Now replacing the bulbs, on a standard H4 bulb (with the third pin at the top) where do you connect the red wire - right or left or does it not matter?
              I'm the overly cautious type. Better too many than not enough. Can't
              remember offhand, (I ought to have drawn a schematic before I disassembled),
              , but literall they are for the high/low beams, so if switch one fetches up the
              high instead of low beam, they want swapping over.

The loom looks totaly complete (thanks!) and I'll fit that at the weekend when I've got more time to do a neat job (there is just so much arb wiring in my engine bay at the mo. that it needs a serious sorting out). With the solenoid I guess it is a matter of trial and error?

Otherwise, it is brilliant and I do thank you most sincerely.
              As far as I remember, that box that mounts in the engine bay just contains
              three relays, and I think the connectors are polarised, so they should only fit
              one way, so to speak. All three units in that housing have the same ratings, I
              believe. (You could always whip the cover off to double check).

You're welcome, BTW. I was never planning on refitting them, and it's far better
              to see them used than sat gathering dust. I hope they do the job for you.

All the best.

Comment

Working...
              X