Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker Help

Hi,
    I have been searching through the posts and I have not found much information about specific brands and models to fill the front and rear speakers.

I see that a lot of surf owners have gone with Kenwood for the front, is this because they are that good or because they are inexpensive ot is it because it is the only speakers that will fit in the front? What the exact model number from Kenwood for the model being used most for the front?

What about the rear, any suggestions on whay brand and model# might be a good choice?

Thanks,
    Skylacker

Originally posted by skylacker
    Hi,
    I have been searching through the posts and I have not found much information about specific brands and models to fill the front and rear speakers.

I see that a lot of surf owners have gone with Kenwood for the front, is this because they are that good or because they are inexpensive ot is it because it is the only speakers that will fit in the front? What the exact model number from Kenwood for the model being used most for the front?

What about the rear, any suggestions on whay brand and model# might be a good choice?

Thanks,
    Skylacker
    not sure about the rears but i used the Kenwoods in the front (1)they are cheap and (2) they sounded good better than what was in there
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Which model Kenwoods...I have seen 1069s and 1060s and they are both 4", will they both work?

Thanks

Comment

I found it easier to just custom fit them. Gives you more options
        ======
        Just gotta finish doing the next mod...

Comment

Custom fitting sounds good but what is the biggest size that can be fit in the front?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by skylacker
            Custom fitting sounds good but what is the biggest size that can be fit in the front?

Thanks
            Whatever size that the biggest piece of unused space you can find
            in the front is.

Comment

it depends on what surf you have 2nd gen are diffrent to the 3rd gen ones
              I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

I personally would steer clear of kenwood, and probably go alpine, vibe, or infinity first, then consider pioneer, clarion, kicker, or maybe blaupunkt before kenwood or sony. Only down to personal preference though, some of the better brands aren't that much more expensive.

If i was making a decision purely on value for money, i would go for Megavox (MGX) everytime, i had a 19 speaker install in a volvo and the MGX's outlasted both sony and kenwood twice over before they finally packed up. And TBH there wasn't a huge difference in sound quality between them. Also a pair of MGX are probably only about 15 quid now where as equivalent known brands would be closer to £40.

If you're wading blaupunkt and infinity both do good marine ranges, i got a feeling it's either one of these or clarion do a fully waterproof cd headunit aswell. Better to be over prepared than under..!!

I think but i'd have to look tomorrow the front's in a 2nd Gen are 4" (10cm). Any speakers of this size should fit. You'll probably have to cut the wiring plug's off the existing speaker wires and solder the wires / crimp new terminals on to them.

If you wanted to try custom mounting, pioneer do some odd sized oval speakers, direct replacements for various manufacturers standard fit. I know they do a 10"x7" (i think, direct replacement for focus rears anyway) might be too big though. I'm pretty sure they do a 8"x5" which might make an interesting proposition for custom fitting at the original locations in the side of the dash. If you want us to find out more lemme know i got a professional installer comin round tomorrow to give us a hand sortin some other stuff out on the surf.
                =========
                =SOLD UP!=
                =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
                  If i was making a decision purely on value for money, i would go for Megavox (MGX) everytime, i had a 19 speaker install in a volvo and the MGX's outlasted both sony and kenwood twice over before they finally packed up. And TBH there wasn't a huge difference in sound quality between them. Also a pair of MGX are probably only about 15 quid now where as equivalent known brands would be closer to £40.
                  If you run a decent quality speaker well within, (under), it's maximum
                  rated output, they should practically outlast the vehicle. Go for overkill
                  with regards to rating. That will give you more benefit than brand name.

Comment

Another Question Please.....

Thanks for all of the help!!

I am getting closer to my decisions and I will update everyone once my new audio experience has been installed.

One more question?? I have seen on some audio sites that it suggests there might be speakers in the rear doors, is this a factory option or I am missing something? I see the speakers in the rear panels but I do not see anything in the rear seat doors. I count a total of 4 speakers, 2 in the front dash panel and 2 in the rear side panels, is this right?

Sorry but as I said, I am a new Surf owner and I am learning a lot!! :-)

Thanks again and I hope to get your feedback soon.

Skylacker
                    1995 3.0 TD Limited

Comment

I got mine from Argos fairly cheap and very good sound

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...2Bspeakers.htm
                      When the going gets tough...The Surf gets going!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X