No announcement yet.

Passenger Electric Window won't go up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passenger Electric Window won't go up!

Hi,

My Passenger window is currently stuck down. I'm going to connect a 12v source to the motor to get the window up in the morning.

Until then I have been trying to find a diagram of where the Relays are located. Could some one help? The car is a 2nd gen Diesal.

I have stripped down the switches and cleaned them up and checked the wiring loom for an obviouse short to no avali - but for the life of me I can't find the relays.

Thanks in advance for your help.

SwFsnapper

Originally posted by SwFSnapper
    Hi,

My Passenger window is currently stuck down. I'm going to connect a 12v source to the motor to get the window up in the morning.

Until then I have been trying to find a diagram of where the Relays are located. Could some one help? The car is a 2nd gen Diesal.

I have stripped down the switches and cleaned them up and checked the wiring loom for an obviouse short to no avali - but for the life of me I can't find the relays.

SwFsnapper
    Unsure of where the relays are on the Surf but if that's not the cause Does the motor make any noise at all?? if so strip the window mech down & see if any of the teeth are missing/broken. if not check the motor out
    NO WORRIES!
    Rusty

Comment

Do the other windows work ok? If so then the switches are probably ok and the fault could either be in the window mechanism (unlikely) or more likely in the wiring to the door itself. I had an old motor that cracked the wiring as it entered the door. You'll need a volt meter first to check the current is getting through to the motor anyway.
      ...Woodie http://woodie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/D...%20Surfsml.JPG

Comment

Hi,

SwFsnapper

Just a silly thought, you haven't got the window lock button depressed worth checking before you start stripping stuff out. Its been done before
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

Hummm

Hi,

Well thanks for the suggestions - I've already checked the switch's, wiring and the door mechanism - The voltage check I still need to do and I am still cluless as to where the relays are.

Thanks for your help so far.

Mark

PS No, I didn't leave the lock on

Comment

I am sure that I hear the relays click in the drivers door when I operate mine.

I am probably wrong though. Here's the diagram if it helps (US 4-runner but should be the same). Remember the door controls will be opposite

Hi,

Well thanks for the suggestions - I've already checked the switch's, wiring and the door mechanism - The voltage check I still need to do and I am still cluless as to where the relays are.

Thanks for your help so far.

Mark

PS No, I didn't leave the lock on
            Last edited by rich; 1 January 2004, 22:45.
            If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Thanks

Hi,

Well thats the answer I was looking for... On one of the diagrams you gave me I was able to trace the fault all the way back to an earth on the drivers side.

In the mean time I was able to power the window up using a bit of nifty jury rigging.

I am surprised that the electric window sustem is as simple as it is... I was looking for relays that didn't exisit - the switch is 12v powered straight to the motor... nice easy system but what a load to carry through a small switch... I'm surprised no one else has had this problem.

I have added a modified diagram to help anyone else.

Thanks again chaps.... especially rich

SwFsnapper
              Attached Files

Comment

It's a pleasure, glad you sorted it.

Rich.

Hi,

Well thats the answer I was looking for... On one of the diagrams you gave me I was able to trace the fault all the way back to an earth on the drivers side.

In the mean time I was able to power the window up using a bit of nifty jury rigging.

I am surprised that the electric window sustem is as simple as it is... I was looking for relays that didn't exisit - the switch is 12v powered straight to the motor... nice easy system but what a load to carry through a small switch... I'm surprised no one else has had this problem.

SwFsnapper
                If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Hi,

SwFsnapper
                  I have the same problem!!
                  could you tell me where on the drivers side your earth problem was found?
                  Many thanks Carl

Comment

Originally posted by CJ.Mehrer
                    Many thanks Carl
                    Its quite an old post , but it looks like the earth comes from the lock out switch area .
                    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

A new me

Originally posted by CJ.Mehrer
                      Many thanks Carl
                      Hi I am also knowen as snapper, I've forgotten my email and my password os I've rejoined...

Still having problems??

Check the wires between the master control switch and the first plug... more then likly its a damaged loom in the door to car rubber bung area... the fix is to find the broken wire and replace it... not easy but you should be able to do it your self.

email for further info

SwFsnapper aka Snapper

Comment

Working...
                      X