Radio removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio removal

Please could someone help the radio in my surf needs to be replaced. I went to Halfords and asked them to do the job of replacing it. After some time the assistant re-appeared and said he could not do the job as he did not know how to take the old radio out... He did say that if I could remove the radio he would fit the new one......REALLY
    How do I remove the radio ?
    Last edited by Gillian; 29 December 2003, 23:24.

You don't say in your post or your profile what model Surf you have but if you have the 2nd gen then I have details on my site, start here:
    http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/dash3.htm

Unfortunately it requires you to take apart most of your dashboard which is not as bad as it sounds but not a 2 minute job either.
    No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

it's a typical toyota fitment, it is bolted to the bulkhead using four screw/bolts either side of the radio through a pair of universal type brackets that should fit to most replacement head units. To get at it, you need to remove the centre part of the dashboard which is secured using screws and push-in clips, the glovebox also has to come out, be gentle with the heater facia, pull off the slider controls, and gently lift of the heater facia from the left side first, once the dashbord is loose, unclip the clock multiplug, i'm sorry if my description is a bit vague, but it's been a while since i did mine. If the dash seems to stuck at all, then recheck that all screws are undone. The only tricky bit i recall was removing the dashboard from around the handbrake lever.
      Once you have the radio out, then check if the original radio multiplug is still intact, if it is, then halfords sell a wiring loom adapter to plug from the original radio multiplug directly into the new radio.
      [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Doh, you beat me to it, i am a slow typer.
        [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Thank you, Codlord and Stara. I will let you know how I go on.
          All the best to you
          Gillian

Comment

Working...
          X