Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handbrake light again

Hi all
    When I accelerate/brake hard and also go over speed bumps rather too quickly the Handbrake light comes on for about 10 secs.
    Iv'e checked the fluid level and it's fine.
    Is this a brake shoe low warning light aswell or have I got a sticky switch, If so where is it.

Cheers .
    Ian.....

Welcome newbie

No, the light does not indicate worn shoes or pads, just fluid level and handbrake. If the light only comes on when you do what you said, it can only be the fluid level sensor. If you're sure the level is correct I wouldn't worry about it too much. That said, mine doesn't do it

Maybe it's worth checking that the sensor is mounted / fitted correctly...?

Comment

Hi Rob,

I've checked the fluid level and it's ok,
      I'll have to have a look at the sensor to see if it is all ok... cheers.

I'm not quite a complete newbie, I used to be on the forum when it was in it's infancy (I think) I'm just new to this snazzy new forum...

Here's my Surf

Comment

Cant seem to attach file

Comment

Originally posted by england75
          Cant seem to attach file

Under this box (when you reply or post) Manage Attachments click on this, new box appears, then click on browse. Find the pic etc you want then click on Add This File (to the right of the browse button) depending on the size of the fils/pic you may need to wait a while.
          When its done it will be added in the box below the buttons. then click on all done and then submit you post.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

Originally posted by england75
            I'm not quite a complete newbie, I used to be on the forum when it was in it's infancy (I think) I'm just new to this snazzy new forum...
            Oops, sorry!

To attach pics, click on 'Manage Attachments' underneath the reply area (before you submit your reply). Click on 'Browse', search your PC for the pic, double-click on it, then click on 'Add This File'. You'll need to wait for it to appear in the list below, normally takes a few seconds but if the pic is large or you're on a dial-up modem it may take a bit longer. After that's done, click on the All Done button and then submit you're post/reply.

Comment

Dammit, beaten to it!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                Dammit, beaten to it!

Sorry, don't you just hate it when you spend five minutes replying to find someone typed faster than you
                Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                My choice
                Back off

Comment

Is the 97 SSRG a 2nd gen?

I dont have a parking brake light on the dash. I know this cos I drove for ten miles with it on before I realised.
                  Should I have one?
                  Ian
                  One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

Originally posted by icsys
                    Is the 97 SSRG a 2nd gen?

I dont have a parking brake light on the dash. I know this cos I drove for ten miles with it on before I realised.
                    Should I have one?
                    97 is a 3rd Gen. You should have a light somewhere on the dash - probably the Brake / ABS / Handbrake warning. Looks like a circle with a clamp round it. If it don't show then you got a bulb out.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                      97 is a 3rd Gen. You should have a light somewhere on the dash - probably the Brake / ABS / Handbrake warning. Looks like a circle with a clamp round it. If it don't show then you got a bulb out.

Cheers

Its on the bottom left of the cluster
                      Maurice
                      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

I checked and I have the usual red brake warning light. This lights up with the ign on and goes out as expected when the engine starts.
                        When the handbrake is applied it doesn't light up. I wanted to know if it should.
                        I presume if it should that the problem is on the handbrake lever. perhaps the switch is not working or a wire has come off.
                        Ian
                        One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

Originally posted by icsys
                          I checked and I have the usual red brake warning light. This lights up with the ign on and goes out as expected when the engine starts.
                          When the handbrake is applied it doesn't light up. I wanted to know if it should.
                          I presume if it should that the problem is on the handbrake lever. perhaps the switch is not working or a wire has come off.
                          Yep I would think that the switch is dirty or a wire has come off - knowing the experiences I have had with the other switches on my surf I would reckon it's dirty.

Cheers

Comment

my handbrake light started playing up too goes off after few mins tho
                            Enjoying Life after Cancer
                            Pops

Comment

My handbrake light is on all the time and i can't get it to go off.....
                              French fishing at it's best www.mayennefishing.com

Comment

Working...
                              X