it wont start!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• it wont start!

need your help please people, i have a 1994 3.0ltr auto, since i bought it i had trouble starting it one day it would be fine then the next it wouldn't start or ages, all it would would do would make a loud clicking noise, i then took it off the road and now it still does the same but when it eventually turns over the alarm goes off! help please getting desperate need to sell it

sounds like the starter motor to me try giving it a tap with something this might help or try cleaning the contacts on it have you check the batteries have a good connection on them as well i hope this is of some help to you
    NO LONGER A SURFER NOW DRIVING A LEXUS

Comment

someone else said that to me about the starter motor but the last time i tried to start it i banged it loads and still didnt work, i am a bit worried that it could be the immobiliser shuting it off! hope not! i will try what you said cheers

Comment

Originally posted by mikebrfc
        someone else said that to me about the starter motor but the last time i tried to start it i banged it loads and still didnt work, i am a bit worried that it could be the immobiliser shuting it off! hope not! i will try what you said cheers

If it turns over it aint the starter. If it clicks and does not turn over it is the starter contacts.

Its not likley the immob unless its been fitted by a muppet.

At least your 3 litre engine has a fairley easy starter to work on. The 2.4 is a nightmare.

Good luck.
        I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Aye! they do do that!

The parts are available at roughtrax to fix, cost is about £40, your lucky being in bristol you could pop roung and pick the bits up!
          Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Def the starter motor and as a 2.4 owner who has done the change(not had one) you can sleep a bit easier.

Steve
            Should have bought a 3ltr

Comment

Originally posted by mikebrfc
              need your help please people, i have a 1994 3.0ltr auto, since i bought it i had trouble starting it one day it would be fine then the next it wouldn't start or ages, all it would would do would make a loud clicking noise, i then took it off the road and now it still does the same but when it eventually turns over the alarm goes off! help please getting desperate need to sell it
              Sounds to me like a bad connection on the battery or batteries, when you try to start it the bad connection breaks down causing the alarm to go off just the same as when you disconnect the supply and then reconnect.
              Try having the headlights on at the same time and see if they go out completely when you try to start, if they stay on I'm wrong.
              Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

I had the same trouble not too long ago, my mate re-conned the starter and guess what? No probs since!!! So I say starter trouble.
                Nihil illigitimi carborundum

Comment

User the search feature for Starter...quite a few vehicles have had to have the contacts / plunger changed....Try rocking the vehicle before starting...
                  Gaz

Comment

Try rocking the vehicle before starting...

That's OK for manuals Gaz. It doesn't do much for automatics though.

My thoughts are dodgy battery, battery connections or bad earth. The alarm going off suggests that the voltage is dropping very low when cranking.
                    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                      Try rocking the vehicle before starting...

That's OK for manuals Gaz. It doesn't do much for automatics though.

My thoughts are dodgy battery, battery connections or bad earth. The alarm going off suggests that the voltage is dropping very low when cranking.

Sorry Phil, but disagree...When I had problems with my starter I put the vehicle in Neutral and give it a slight rock, put the thing back in park and the vehicle used to start...did this on two occassions!!
                      Gaz

Comment

I'd put money on it being the starter contacts. Not a big job. I bought a set of contacts from Roughtrax and did the job in half an hour or so. Didn't bother with a plunger, just fitted it in a drill chuck, spun it up and ran a fine file over it to clean off the metal splatter from the melted contacts! Repaired it about a year ago and no problems since.
                        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

cheers everyone will try all these suggestions and see how i get on

Comment

Working...
                          X