Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An update on my alternator

An update on my alternator that threw its toys out of the cot
    I did all the reading here and on the Aus site and discovered that it must be the brushes.
    Went to Repco and was given a set of nice new brushes, well not given , more provided with for $6.
    Got home and decided to follow the advice I was given here and do it myself, how hard can it be.
    Step one : Remove alternator
    Step two : Remove cover over the voltage regulator
    Step three : Remove voltage regulator and brush holder assembly………………..
    HANG ON A MINUTE !!!!
    Step one : Remove the alternator ???????…………… Do you have any F$%&in idea where that thing is and how many bits are attached to it ??????
    HTF is that supposed to come out ??????
    Disconnect wiring, oil lines, vacuum lines, remove vee belt, pull lower mounting bolt……..oh the front wheel needs to come off for this and the little inner guard panel too.
    Now to just lift the little thing out.
    Like F… that is coming out that space.
    Off with the a/c pump, and I mean off and out……onto the driveway, it did bugger all anyway.
    Off with the a/c belt tensioner assembly complete with large cast bracket……excess weight anyway.
    Off with the $$$$$$ great casting that holds the a/c pump and the alternator tensioner.
    Ahhhhhhhh, now it will come out.

Anyway, back to the alternator.
    Pulled the voltage regulator / brush assembly out and could not fathom how to get my new brushes in there. Sunday arvo before a night shift so I thought it is a good time to play games with my 5yo daughter.
    Monday off to the local auto sparky who told me all I needed to do was to pop the two solder joints and the old brushes will fly out complete with springs. Do not lose the springs.
    Went home and did as I was told , easy as job.
    Checked the slip rings for wear and bearings for play and all is o.k.
    Shoved the alternator back in and put back the casting with the tensioner. I have left the a/c bits out and will be back at a later date to make a new tensioner holder instead of that 5kg block of cast iron that is there.
    Overall it was a good learning day ( and a half )
    I can now see how the brushes can be changed with the alternator in-situ, and will do that to my brothers LN61 when the time comes.

Lastly thanks to all who helped me to diagnose this problem and offer their advice on solutions.
    Simon.O.
    '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd
Working...
X