Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrically Adjustable Suspension

91 SSRX

When switched from normal to 'Hard' should an indicator light illuminate on the dash? The Japanese manual appears to say that it should, with a small orange 'shock icon' and the word hard at the far right hand side of the indicator panel.

However mine does not illuminate any indicator light.

It is hard to tell if the switch is actually affecting the suspension. In the 'hard' position the truck does 'feel' firmer, but that is far from a technical diagnosis.

Anybody know a good way to check if it is working correctly? Perhaps it's just a moody switch/indicator bulb?

I find that the normal suspension is great, and have not had a reason to actually chose the hard setting. I am just curious, who prefers it hard and for what do they use it... (steady on!)

Barry

Originally posted by AngloTurk
    91 SSRX

When switched from normal to 'Hard' should an indicator light illuminate on the dash? The Japanese manual appears to say that it should, with a small orange 'shock icon' and the word hard at the far right hand side of the indicator panel.

However mine does not illuminate any indicator light.

It is hard to tell if the switch is actually affecting the suspension. In the 'hard' position the truck does 'feel' firmer, but that is far from a technical diagnosis.

Anybody know a good way to check if it is working correctly? Perhaps it's just a moody switch/indicator bulb?

I find that the normal suspension is great, and have not had a reason to actually chose the hard setting. I am just curious, who prefers it hard and for what do they use it... (steady on!)

Barry
    Yes it should illuminate a shock icon in the right hand corner of the dash, it could be bulb out.
    You say the ride feels firmer that it is working, you should also notice less bodyroll on cornering. If the shock were changed for after market ones then the hard/soft setting won't work. If you check the top of the shock you should see some wires coming it off, these are original spec.
    I use this setting for motorway driving, takes some of the bounce out of the drive, also sometimes in the wet to illiminate bodyroll so keep the Surf more upright and geive better traction all round. Also use it for off roading.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

my little shock absorber and the word hard are green on the dash when i press the button, not that it matters what colour it is as long as it works.
      I notice quite a difference in the ride when on hard. I find it corners better without as much body role.
      I use mine on the motorway when there are high cross winds and as i am a joiner i use it when carring loads in the back.

cheers scotty

Comment

i have a green light also on the dash board when on hard .i have it on hard full time to stop the body roll i use minor roads nearly full time , off roading i find it great on soft . if u dont notice from soft to hard or vice versa i would think u just have the standard ones some one took a cheap way out

Comment

Hard!

Our Surf is like a barge on the Soft setting, but is a bit to harsh on Hard.
          S'pose I could always change to aftermarket shocks.

Comment

Cheers!

Thanks guys, helpful as always... will do further investigation, sounds as if it is working as the shocks have the requisit electric tops etc and there appears to be a noticable difference. Mind you up to now I have been a Yank car fan (shock horror) so my opinions on acceptable body roll are probably right off! Most of my American Cars have induced motion sickness in my passengers. Compared to them the Hilux is as stable as an operating table!

As I have yet to become an eccentric millionaire I was unable to afford the thirst of a Yank truck so chose a Hilux instead.... fantastic choice I must say!

Comment

When i fist got my Surf aboit 4 lights were not working including the 'hard'

I think it only adjusts the rear shocks though?
              '94 3.0TD SSR-G Limited Green over Silver, mmmmmmmmmm!

Comment

Working...
              X