Aeriel Relay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aeriel Relay?

It's probably been done before but nothing came up on a search, So where is the electric aeriel relay situated? My aeriel has never worked since i got the truck, No noise or anything, While i've got the dash out i want to sort it out,
    Cant afford the £90 for a new unit so if its not just a relay/fuse thats the prob im thinking of fitting a small rubber type aeriel which i believe some
    others have fitted, Possibly on the roof leaving the original in place (till i can
    replace it), Any advice on this type of aeriel ie how much and where would
    be appreceiated, Cheers, Ian
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

The relay is on the side of the aerial motor itself and fed by a switched 12 from the radio.

Fish
    If it smells like fish, eat it!

Comment

Theres one under the dash, above your feet, you can hear it clicking. I have some used ones.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

yeah near your right foot... shhh, listen.....

clickety click
        Tim
        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Many thanks, I'll have a good look and listen, I'll bare that in mind Tonyn
          thanks, If its not working (clicking) I assume i can replace it with a standard
          off the shelf one, say a 30amp! More likley to be the actual aeriel i guess,
          It pulls up and down quite freely, Cheers, Ian

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
            I assume i can replace it with a standard
            off the shelf one, say a 30amp!
            The original is not just a relay. It's a PCB with lots of electronic parts including a relay. It's on the right side of the brake pedal support bracket. A fairly large reddish brown color in mine. Remove the wheel arch cover, unplug the aerial and check voltage at the plug. There are two wires and these change polarity when ignition is switched off and on. Recently fixed my aerial and now I don't get power to this plug. I do however have 99% of the dash out at the moment.

Nev

Comment

Hi Nev, I've got about the same percentage of dash out as well, Best time to have a good look round, I've seen that relay box you mention when i was
              routing the multi changer cables through, Soon as i get the instrument panel
              and top half back in i can fit the radio loosly and have a test, As i say
              though mate if it dose'nt pan out im thinking of fitting a stubby rubber aeriel
              instead, Long as the reception's ok, A lot less aggro, Cheers Ian

Comment

Soon as i get the instrument panel and top half back in i can fit the radio loosly and have a test
                That's sorta what I got planned. My aerial was broken for a while so I originally disconnected the relay to disable it. All electrics worked at that time. Since then I have removed the old radio and the huge amount of dodgy wiring that was there. I have a new radio and the proper radio harness adapter now but the aerial will not work. I have a feeling that the radio has to be installed or some of the other wiring which controls other things has to be connected to get it working again. I have also got Electronic Boost Control, Alarm and Immobiliser, Cruise Control, CD Stacker, DVD Player and Screen and UHF to install.

Nev

Comment

Hi Nev, You probably already have this, its the install doctor radio pin out
                  for surf's, Dont know quite how to post the site but if you give Bushwacker
                  a shout he has it, Looking at the original harness plug (larger of the two)
                  from the mating face left to right and top to bottom you have A B C D on top
                  And E F G H I J bottom ,H & I have to be joined together to get the aeriel to work, In the Halfords iso adaptor this was already done, I haven't checked
                  the radio works yet but checked the pin outs through from the plug through the iso to the radio connection and all checks out, The above is for 87 and
                  newer surfs, Of course this all assumes the wireing hasn't been messed about
                  with before,
                  Your certainly going to town on the ICE, Good luck, Ian

Comment

Looking at the original harness plug (larger of the two)
                    from the mating face left to right and top to bottom you have A B C D on top
                    And E F G H I J bottom ,H & I have to be joined together to get the aeriel to work, In the Halfords iso adaptor this was already done.
                    Yep. I think they are joined on the connector I have. A blue wire if I remember correctly. Will check later.

Nev

Comment

Working...
                    X