Starter Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Motor

Had been out in the truck on Thursday and come home again; went to go out again and starter motor just clicked
    Tried it again and it engaged and started to to turn the engine a little but then stopped
    Kept trying, more clicking etc. and eventually she started.
    Drove to my uncle's who is a mechanic and has own workshop and tried starting again several more times with the same result.
    I had previously read a thread on here about starter problems and it all seemed familiar now. I decided to ring Barry at Roughtrax for advice and he confirmed what I was already thinking - repair kit required. I ordered the kit from him just before 3.00pm and it arrived via City Link the next morning (yesterday). Uncle fitted kit yesterday and says it has started faultlessly a dozen or more times in succession; so its seems to have done the job .
    The kit includes new contacts etc and a new plunger which has proven troublesome to many in the past.
    I thought I would post this for anyone who experiences similar problems. My Surf is just a second car / toy but even so, it is a horrible feeling knowing you have a dodgy starter and auto transmission! General concensus seems if you have suffered battery problems and the starter motor has not been receiving correct voltage, it can cause the starter contacts to arc out and accelerate wear. This applies to me as I had to replace both Jap batteries about a month ago!
    So :-
    Thanks to the forum yet again
    Thanks to Barry at Roughtrax
    (oh and thanks to Uncle Brian! )
    And lastly a very Merry Christmas, Happy / Healthy New Year and Happy Surfing to all forum members and modulators etc.

BTW I received my window stickers today - going to pick the Surf up now and slap them on!
    If you're gonna have one ...... have a good'un!

nice one mate,
    good info. I always try and post info after a job as well. My surf is also a toy (actually 3rd car)

Happy christmas to you too.
    I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Working...
    X