under bonnet 40 amp fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• under bonnet 40 amp fuse

when engaging the starter motor a 40 amp fuse in the fuse box under the bonnet blows. what circuit(s) does this fuse control? it is a problem that has got worse over the last few months to the point where the fuse blows in

stantaneously now. anybody any ideas? the vehicle is a J reg 3ltr diesel incidentally my local toyoya dealer has refused to look at the car because it is imported. is this usual or is it a local problem?
    Last edited by baffled; 13 December 2005, 11:50.

Probably got a short somewhere in the line. Best bet is to take it to an auto electrician to run a diagnostic on it.
    Mike G

Comment

40 amp under bonnet fuse

Originally posted by Tallyman
      Probably got a short somewhere in the line. Best bet is to take it to an auto electrician to run a diagnostic on it.
      thanks mike g but that would be like giving the guy a blank cheque!
      what would be really useful is where to start looking!

Comment

Originally posted by baffled
        thanks mike g but that would be like giving the guy a blank cheque!
        what would be really useful is where to start looking!
        You want to be looking at either the starter motor or the alternator, short on either of these will cause the fuse to blow, check for any damaged or chaffed wiring go to and from them aswell
        THE ORIGINAL CRAZY BITCH!

Comment

40 amp fuse

Originally posted by crazybitch
          You want to be looking at either the starter motor or the alternator, short on either of these will cause the fuse to blow, check for any damaged or chaffed wiring go to and from them aswell
          thanks crazybitch, every little helps!

Comment

We've got exactly the same probs!

when engaging the starter motor a 40 amp fuse in the fuse box under the bonnet blows. what circuit(s) does this fuse control? it is a problem that has got worse over the last few months to the point where the fuse blows in

stantaneously now. anybody any ideas? the vehicle is a J reg 3ltr diesel incidentally my local toyoya dealer has refused to look at the car because it is imported. is this usual or is it a local problem?

Hi baffled newbie surfer!
            We have an L reg 3 litre turbo diesel SSRX automatic with the 40 amp fuse problem AND we live in Cumbria!! We've had 3 fuses blow; the last one instantly.
            Our truck has been off the road for weeks and no-one will look at it either because it's an import or because it's "too complicated"!! We have been told to look at starter motor or alternator. Maybe we could solve our problems together?
            Let us know if you have made any progress. I hate being without my surf!!
            We are in Cockermouth. E-mail us on: rik500@hotmail.com.
            Good luck,
            Cath and Rik

Comment

This may sound stupid, but check the cigar lighter socket, as this will probably be linked to the same high amperage cuicuit as the starter.
              Look for anything stuck or shorting out in there.

Comment

Are you sure it's a J-reg 3.0ltr ?

Ps. Will be staying in the lakes from next Friday, weeks holiday in Loweswater.

Comment

40amp fuse

I blew this on mine when (what I assume to be) the power lead to the cd changer got mashed in the hinges of the rear seat.

Worth checking cos on mine its a wire which runs along near the hinges and liable to get caught, may not be like that on any others though

Pete

Comment

Working...
                  X