Wire size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire size

Bit of a daft question but I'm fitting a second water temp guage and the instructions say to use at least 18 guage wire for the connections. Now most 12v wire I have is supplied with an amp rating not a wire guage size. So anyone know what amperage is 18 guage wire please before I try to wire it with ammeter supply wire (27 amp)?

Thanks.
    Mike G

Originally posted by Tallyman
    Bit of a daft question but I'm fitting a second water temp guage and the instructions say to use at least 18 guage wire for the connections. Now most 12v wire I have is supplied with an amp rating not a wire guage size. So anyone know what amperage is 18 guage wire please before I try to wire it with ammeter supply wire (27 amp)?

Thanks.

This link might help a little. It states that 18gauge wire at 12v draws 0-10amperes

http://www.batterywholesaler.co.uk/b...wire_gauge.htm
    Gaz

Comment

0.8mm, should do 6 amps.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks guys. Looks like I can use the standard 1.02 squared size then.

Tony, another question. Any idea what thread size a standard temp guage sender unit is? I've got some taps but have lost the size keys so I'd be guessing at the moment.
        Mike G

Comment

Think its 1/8th NPT, or 1/4, not to sure. I don't use the bigger adapter with the guages I get.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Yes, I've looked at the larger adapter as well but I'm thinking of drilling & tapping the alloy elbow next to the head that the top hose connects to (3.0L) and then just using the sender itself, not the bigger adapter. Not sure how thick the metal is but presume it should hold the sender tightly enough to be water tight. Ever done any of these before?
            Mike G

Comment

Working...
            X