Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glow Plugs

Hi Lads

Has anyone changed the glow plugs on a 2.4tD?

I ordered the ones fom Milners and they seem physically different. They seem slightly shorter than the old ones. In addition, the old ones seem to have a small insulating ring near the electrical attachment thread whereas I can't see it on the new ones. I have done a continuity check and there does seem to be a dead area on the new ones, but I can't be sure.

I am doing this as we speak (Sunday 23/11/03) and hence the swift replies are ace. It's like having an online Haynes Manual!!

Cheers

Rob

Originally posted by robnw67
    Hi Lads

Has anyone changed the glow plugs on a 2.4tD?

I ordered the ones fom Milners and they seem physically different. They seem slightly shorter than the old ones. In addition, the old ones seem to have a small insulating ring near the electrical attachment thread whereas I can't see it on the new ones. I have done a continuity check and there does seem to be a dead area on the new ones, but I can't be sure.

I am doing this as we speak (Sunday 23/11/03) and hence the swift replies are ace. It's like having an online Haynes Manual!!

Cheers

Rob
    What part # do youi have for the glow plugs.I have Bosch # 215 as a replacement for my 2.4.

Neville

Comment

Glow Plugs Thanks

Hi

Thanks to all who posted replies to my post while I was changing my glow plugs. It really helped.

I discovered that it seems that one glow plug was ok, one was dodgy and two weren't working at all. In addition, it seems that when the (dreaded) cylinder head was replaced, the oaf who rebuilt the machine had got the positions of the black and blue insulating spacers wrong. Hence the first time it was used, the 80A fuse also blew. I have now rebuilt the bus bar/glow plugs and all seems ok. Of course tomorrows cold start will really be the tell-tale.

I had to bodge the fuse but I'm going to get a couple on order now. Without this site, I guess I would be facing a huge garage bill. Thanks again for all the help received.

Rob

Comment

Rob,
        I had a new set put in recently. It starts great now, but I have to warm them up twice from cold. I kept a box for reference. They are Bosch 3B9 .
        @Neville. I told the guy who did mine that I thought they were Bosch 215 (got this number from Aussie site) and his supplier could find no record of it. It may be a different part number here in UK, as he came up with the 3B9. Anyone else confirm this??
        Pete

Comment

Originally posted by robnw67
          Hi

Thanks to all who posted replies to my post while I was changing my glow plugs. It really helped.

I discovered that it seems that one glow plug was ok, one was dodgy and two weren't working at all. In addition, it seems that when the (dreaded) cylinder head was replaced, the oaf who rebuilt the machine had got the positions of the black and blue insulating spacers wrong. Hence the first time it was used, the 80A fuse also blew. I have now rebuilt the bus bar/glow plugs and all seems ok. Of course tomorrows cold start will really be the tell-tale.

I had to bodge the fuse but I'm going to get a couple on order now. Without this site, I guess I would be facing a huge garage bill. Thanks again for all the help received.

Rob

Yep put them back wrong on mine after rebuilding my head 3 fuses and 4 new plugs later back the right way starts straight away without touching the pedal.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

Glow Plugs

Well after replacing the plugs and correcting the bus bar spacers, the old girl started brilliantly this morning. Despite a half inch of ice on the windows, it started first crank. Quite impressed.

Thanks for all the advice - this site is a mine of useful info.

Rob

Comment

So, did you use the ones from Milners or did you buy Bosch ones. Couldnt fully make out from your posts. My starting ahs been very ropey over the past couple of days and i was gonna change them. If you could let me know, i would appreciate it.
              Tanx
              Del
              Derek :
              1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
              [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Glow plugs

Hi

I ended up fitting the Milners ones and they definately worked on one cold morning but the mornings haven't been cold enough since to try. I am not really sure - there has been some hesitation and I can't hear the relays clicking. I bodged the fuse to get it to work so something may be wrong there. I have the new fuse from Milners and will fit it Saturday and report further progress.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy
                  So, did you use the ones from Milners or did you buy Bosch ones. Couldnt fully make out from your posts. My starting ahs been very ropey over the past couple of days and i was gonna change them. If you could let me know, i would appreciate it.
                  Tanx
                  Del

I recently changed mine and used the milners ones, one good frosty morning so far, turned the key, light went out waited another five seconds or so turned the key didn't touch the gas pedal and fired straight up. So far so good.
                  Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                  My choice
                  Back off

Comment

Working...
                  X