Rear window wont go down on key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear window wont go down on key

I know this has been convered but all my searches return hundreds of hits and I'm sure I've missed the vital clue.

Today, went to rear window and it won't go down using the key.
    There is a faint click from somewhere but no movement.

The window will go up/down using the internal switch in the cab and will go back up using the external key.

Anybody give me a couple of pointers please.

There is sooooooo much info on here about rear window problems, does anybody fancy compiling a FAQ with regards to rear window problems... It does soom like a very common issue.

Thanks,
    Joe

If your rear key switch is doing half the job and all other systems are ok then you are looking for a dirty contact or broken wire.
    The key switch on the tailgate of the LN130 provides a earth to the relay package. Get into your tailgate and have a look at the back of the 'key switch' .
    Remember the window 'can' work with the tailgate down you just have to trick it into thinking it is up by flicking over the latches.
    See how you go here.
    Cheers
    Simon
    Simon.O.
    '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

I would try to support the rear window if you can before attempting to get the rear window to go up with the tailgate down. Just in case!

Comment

A favorite is where the wires go from the bottom of the tailgate. the wires get broken where they come out from under the little plastic cover at the bottom to form the loop of loom that goes to the body.

Comment

Thanks guys,

Darn thing wont always go up now so it's getting worse, which is good news I think as I'm hoping it's a cable fault as you have all suggested, rather than problems with the electronics (expensive).

I'll have a look one evening this week and report back.

Thanks again,
          Joe

Comment

It may be the switch behind the key but chances are it is the relay pack.

Comment

Door warning light

I have the same problem with the dash light staying on. I tried it with the drivers door open and pushed the switch closed. Light went out. Short while down the road it was back on again?????????
              Sorry, this came out in the wrong place?
              Last edited by Toxophilus; 31 August 2005, 12:35. Reason: Wrong place

Comment

Just try wiggling the rear wiper, I've had 3 now that the relay thinks the wiper is not in its parked position.

Comment

just started having the same problem with my rear window.it goes up to about 4" from the top and then stops but with a bit of a pull with the key turned or switch pressed from inside it goes up so it looks like i will have to take a look soon
                  https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

rear window old post found

Hi im new at this but my boot window also playing up. Through my searches on this site i found the following. Hope it helps. Big thanks jason
                    valarius
                    Semi Professional surfer

Vehicle: 94 3.0td ssr-x

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here is a write up on how i managed to fix the rear window on my 2nd gen, hope it helps others, i have a 1992 k reg 2.4td

for this write up lower will mean the bottom of the tailgate nearest to the cabin when tailgate is flat

1 remove all of the rear trim on the tailgate ( wont go into detail as there are only some clips and screws)

2 in my case it was the motor drive that had failed so to remove this there are 3 screws fixed from inside the tailgate ( mine were 8mm bolts that fixed into the motor housing itself) keep these safe once these have been removed disconect the plug from the loom and remove whole unit . ( hint when you have two screws removed from the lower part of the tailgate you will need to lift the motor slightly and manually slide the window up on its runners this is to get to the third screw, be aware of the glass ) on the donor vehicle the screws were torx so try to check.

3 trip to s**** yard , this part is a generalisation from the 8 vehicles that i stripped window mechs from, from what i can find as long as it is a left side motor you shouldn't have any problems, the main two that i settled on were from a 1990 mr2 , 96 landcruiser colorado, both of these had the same colour wires in the same configuartion as what was fitted in my 1992 surf, ( when you go take the numbers from the original to help eg mine was listed as a L13 on black plastic casing and the one i used from the landcruiser was a L213 ) the part numbers however did not match exactly but they were close enough for me to take a chance on it. so home i went. ( keep the screws from the unit that you take from donor car for spares just in case ).

4 with window fully out place the motor back into position fix loosly the lower two screws then fix the thired tighten up being careful to ensure that the teeth on the motor sit within the teeth on the mechanism, then tighten fully. be careful not to cross thread the screws ( glad i kept the ones from the donor car )

5 lower window with key or switch , when down close tailgate and ensure that all works fine and that nothing is trapped ,

6 refit all of trim

mine cost me £23 inc vat so against a new toyota or even milners i think a good cheap alternative,

this is not the best write up but then i am not an english teacher, if anyone has the same problems and i can help then pm me or just ask i will only be to happy to help ( sorry about no photos but my camera is busted ) , from what i can gather toyota dont have alot of different parts. i have done some leg work to help others so if you can help someone else please do so , everyone needs help from time to time.

regards

jason

ps i will give out my tel number if it helps to speak to someone but by request

Comment

i need to fix my window but it wont go down at all!
                      bit of a pain to work on
                      Tim
                      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                        i need to fix my window but it wont go down at all!
                        bit of a pain to work on
                        When mine got stuck I removed the carpet and steel plate from the rear door whilst crawling around in the boot.
                        Found the cable going to the window motor and unplugged it.
                        Ran a cable from my rear AUX socket and powered the motor directly.
                        That got the darn thing to move - also proved that mechanically, there was nothing wrong.

I'm going to fit an override switch that allows me to force the window up or down, overriding all the electronics - not getting stuck in the rain at Tesco's with the Window stuck down again !!!

Comment

Originally posted by kcsl
                          Ran a cable from my rear AUX socket and powered the motor directly.
                          That got the darn thing to move - also proved that mechanically, there was nothing wrong.
                          I'm going to fit an override switch that allows me to force the window up or down, overriding all the electronics
                          THAT is exactly the basis for my next trick.
                          Here is the logic:
                          The window motor gets and earth from either the key switch (directly) or from the console switch ( I have yet to determine that route)
                          The power (+ve) come from the mystery relay pack that is hidden up the back, FN why they put it there
                          This +ve bit gets interupted when the wiper is not sitting exactly where it should.
                          can you see the plan here ???
                          I will run a new supply of +ve from my rear power distribution to the motor. This can be direct, which means a live wire in through the tailgate, or relayed by a number of methods.
                          I am going for the direct idea as the way I see it if I use a heavy insulated wire that is fused correctly then it will be fine.
                          Then the window will not give a rats butt where the wiper is.

In addition to this some of you may remember that i have a small rocker switch above the number plate that does the earth bit like the key switch, only it is wired through a front door lock so that it only works when the wagon is unlocked.

****EDITED***
                          I have had a bit of play about with the wiring and now have found that the motor has two wires going in that are polarity reversable.
                          So with a bit of electrikery and a couple of HD relays I am going to make a whole new controller for the back window and put it somewhere that is eay to get to, not like the Toyota one !!
                          I'll let ya all know when its done.
                          Last edited by Simon.O.; 22 October 2005, 02:53.
                          Simon.O.
                          '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

Thank you this worked for me!!!

Originally posted by Honda2ner
                            Just try wiggling the rear wiper, I've had 3 now that the relay thinks the wiper is not in its parked position.
                            After a lot of swearing unloading from the passenger doors taking off the back panel from the inside fiddling around more swearing and no joy and no obvious fault I remembered you guys I looked at this fanatastic forum and lo and behold I switched the rear wiper on and off and the tailgate window works again.
                            THANK YOU!!! and God bless you all.

Comment

hi, i had same prob. i found out that is was a cut wire on the n/s where the loom come out of the tailgate and go's under the body and up to the tailgate relay behind the n/s back trim. hope this helps

Comment

Working...
                              X